Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seed from unusual trees

Posted by nordbyc zone 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 24, 08 at 10:59

Looking for seed from trees that would push zone four in south western Minnesota. Know of a tree that has seed that is usually a resident of southern climates that is or will produce seed this fall. Have collection of Ginkgo, Hickory, and Redbud. I'm always on the lookout for trees in public areas (or willing private party) that make good candidates.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seed from unusual trees

If you ever get up to the cities, somewhere in the metro area are some bald cypress trees (Taxodium distichum) that I believe produce viable seed. I am not sure where they are, but I think someone on the forum does. They are on private property.

There is a Pseudolarix by the Lake Harriet rose garden that I have seen cones on. Being a lone tree, I am not sure if it produces viable seeds. There is also a huge Magnolia acuminata, while not really pushing zone 4, it is a tree that is rarely planted.

The Saint Paul campus of the UofM has some unusual trees scattered about. Again they may not all be pushing zone 4, they are rarely planted. Acer triflorum, Acer tegmentosum, Magnolia tripetala, Sophora japonicum, Pinus koreanis, Cornus mas to name a few.

Another worth looking for if you can find a local tree producing seed is tulip poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera), not actually a poplar. The UofM arboretum has some mature ones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here