Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me ID these gorgeous plants

Posted by jazzygardener z4 MN (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 12, 09 at 12:09

I found these 2 different plants growing in my yard.Both have red berries. Since I don't remember planting them they might be wild. Does anyone know what they are?

wild plant 2

Wild plant 1

Wild plant 3

Wild plant 4

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me ID these gorgeous plants

The first two are False Solomon Seal, a nice native shade plant. They will reseed and colonize for you.
the 2nd two look like night shade, an invasive interloper.

o

Picks 1 and 2 = Maianthemum racemosum (Smilacina racemosa) Solomon's-plume, False Solomon's-seal, Spikenard, Solomon's Plume, Feathery False Lily of the Valley- Smell wonderfully in bloom.
Pick #3 = Arisaema triphyllum, Jack-in-the-Pulpit, Bog onion, Brown dragon.
Both are common natives to our zone. Glad you can give those volunteers a good home!

Julie

o

I agree with Julie on both.

o

I ditto both the false solomon seal and jack in the pulpit. If it is the showy red berries that are catching your eye, have you ever seen baneberry? It is a short bushing plant that that holds its cardinal red berries through the winter. The green of its foliage holds up quite well through the winter too. It does come in a white berry variety, but you DO NOT WANT THAT. It is scrubby and invasive. The red berry variety does not want a lot of sun and is very happy under fir and pine trees. Baneberry does appear in the wild, but it is one of those wild plants that does appreciate the easy life of a garden. By midsummer when the berries are setting, you will have people asking you what it is.

o

Yep, Solomon's Seal and Jack in the Pulpit...I concur.

I have both red and white baneberry in my woods and the white doesn't appear to be invasive at all. Must be just in a garden that it is invasive?

Linda

o

Years ago, I was told Jack in the Pulpit is protected. I had it volunteer in my garden and it would like to slowly take over. Now, I have to give some away every couple of years.
gramma jan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here