Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvesting Pumpkin Yet?

Posted by carmellia z 4 Minn (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 07 at 12:30

Do you wait to harvest any pumpkin until the vines die back, or do you think some could be taken now?

I usually do wait until later, but I've got a couple of recipes I really want to try. One is pumpkin fudge. Anyone ever try that? I am very curious. Carmellia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvesting Pumpkin Yet?

No, but it sounds very interesting. If you're happy with the results would you be willing to share the recipe? I recently made a batch of pumpkin butter that we really liked. I usually wait till later to harvest but with frost in the forecast last night I hauled them all up near the house and covered them. As soon as the temps warm again I'll wash them and get them into the garage.

o

when DO you normally harvest pumpkins and how long would they last offf the vin and in the garage?

o

I have had good success with waiting until the vines start to dry down, some will insist that you should pick when they turn orange. It would have been nice to have a couple of extra weeks this year, but I must say that the majority of my pumpkins, squash, and gourds appeared to be mature when I picked them. Probably due to all the hot weather this year. I guess time will tell. I have had squash and pie pumpkins store in the garage until Feb. Keep in mind however that the section of my garage (workshop area) where I store them is heated, so when temps really start to dip down I keep the thermostat at 35-40 degrees. My large pumpkins will easily store past Halloween. Once they freeze and then thaw you have mush. I also was the dirt off before storing with a 10% bleach solution, rinse and allow to dry before storing.

o

I cut all my pumpkins and gourds, and wondered the same thing after I'd done it. This wasa my first year, and wasn't aware that they'll be fine left until the vine dies, frost or no frost. Long term frost - no, but overnight dips.

o

Thanks for your comments. I made a pumpkin coffee cake with the littlest pumpkin I picked and it was just great. It seems that some of them are perfectly ripe by now.

I will try the fudge next. I found 2 recipes - one sounds like a traditional fudge recipe, the other is more like a quick fudge recipe, with marshmallow and vanilla chips. I will try the traditional recipe first and post the results. If the traditional one doesn't work out, I may try the simplified one. Carmellia

o

I usually try to get them picked before a killing frost. A hard frost will damage the squash/pumpkin and it will not store very long.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here