Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gamebird

Frost report

gamebird
16 years ago

After surveying my garden, it looks like only the squash suffered and then only on the top leaves. The growing tips still look okay, so I think I'll leave them be and see if the weather warms up and they can finish ripening the fruits a little more.

I only covered the pepper plants and they look okay. The tomato and bean plants look perfectly fine.

My thermometer says it got down to 28 F last night.

How did your garden fare?

Comments (9)

• ginkgonut
    16 years ago

South Minneapolis. Thermometer said 35F this morning. Close, but the stuff I didn't cover looks okay. I played it safe and covered what I could. Too many plants, not enough sheets. Frost out in the middle of the grass.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

Near downtown - 37 at 4 am. Everything still looks OK.

Kevin

• john_w
    16 years ago

East metro suburbs here. Frost on the grass. 32.5F. Some of the annuals are frost-burned at the tips, but a near-death experience for most everything. Alas, the guppies in my lotus pot are dead. ;(

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

Approx. 65 miles west of Mpls. and everything in the garden was hit. Even the tomatoes and beans (which were covered) were nipped. Peppers and eggplant are blackened even with covering. Luckily I had picked everything of usable size. Some annuals (coleus especially )are gone, others look fine. Some things I had put in the garage or porch, so those are ok.

• izzy58
    16 years ago

i covered my clematis and asters as they all had buds and i wanted to see them bloom but the rest went uncovered and im in brooklyn center and the frost was pretty thick on the ground. all my other perennials did great except two of my hydrangeas... top growth of the leaves got nipped but ones under them were unaffected... strange how it hit 2 out of about 10 hydrangeas that i have. oh well, thats minnesota for ya!!

• heleninramsey
    16 years ago

In Ramsey, edge of Anoka, most of the tender annuals got bit, covered my morning glories (cause they are in their glory) and they still got damaged. Most of my containers spent the night in my garage or in my dining room...best dinner guests I have had all year, LOL. Perennials fine though. The low on my thermometer said 28...

• ich_bin_nathan
    16 years ago

Here in grantsburg it got down to 23 degrees and just about everything took it at my garden. My morning glories, which were just starting to show off turned black instantly-my shurbs curled up, and my perenials turned floppy. And now is supposed to be in the 80s. Dont you love september!
    Nathan

• rubybaby43
    16 years ago

Ramsey: covered my beans, tomatoes and peppers. The tops of the beans that were touching the sheets look rough and same with the tomatoes. Have some annuals on the deck and only a small portion of one bit the dust. A few hostas in the back under the cover of oaks are looking sad but the hardier ones show no wear.

I guess according to Helen it got down in the upper 20s. I have no way of knowing....I was sleeping! hehe

Kristy :)

• mnwsgal
    16 years ago

Southeastern Maple Grove, almost Plymouth: I covered many of my flowers and picked cucks, beans, peppers, and tomatoes but did not cover any veggies.
    Don't think I had any frost as even my most tender plants had no damage. I was up throughout the night and checked often and didn't see any frost.
    Bobbie

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH