Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Rain rain rain

jel48
16 years ago

Is everyone getting rain these last few days? I don't have a rain gauge here yet (looked for one in 2-3 places but no one seemed to have them out any more) but it sure seems to have rained a lot, both earlier in the week, then yesterday, and again today! Guess I won't complain too much though. At least we shouldn't be going into the winter dry again.

Comments (9)

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    16 years ago

Lucky you! Up here they keep telling me it's gonna rain, and it doesn't! The ground is so dry it was like powder when I was doing some transplanting. In fact I have the sprinkle on my beds right now.

Jenny P

• posieh
    16 years ago

Finally got some rain. Really needed it so that everything can be watered to start Winter. We've had a very dry, hot Summer. I guess we can't change the weather but then that gives us something to talk about! LOL

• snowguy716
    16 years ago

Here in Bemidji we're right on average for the year for precipitation and about 0.5*F above normal for temperature.

August was quite dry, though it was actually below average temperature-wise, but June and July were pretty hot with long periods between rainfalls that dried out my ultra sandy soil.

During September, we've had 4.2" of rain at my house compared to a long term average of 2.8", so the soil moisture has been recharged.

Bemidji missed the heavy rains that bombarded NW Minnesota early in the summer and also missed the rains that bombarded the Iron Range this month. But we're a meteorological hole. We never get hte heaviest rain or the heaviest snow or the hottest or coldest temp.

If they say 12" of snow, it'll snow an inch or two here before moving out and dumping 2 feet on Duluth...

It's always disappointing here, weather wise.

• jel48
    Original Author
    16 years ago

To me, getting an inch or two of snow instead of 12 is NOT disappointing! But, from your GW name, I'm guessing you're like a lot of my friends who actually like the stuff :-)

• deweymn
    16 years ago

Minnesota is a state of extremes. You gotta love it or leave it. But whatever happens you always know that in between are some of the nicest days you can ever have.

Indian summer is just around the corner. The drought was washed away by unusual wetness and the yearly rainfall is just above average. The soil should be just about wet enough for a good spring planting. or will be with average snowfall.

Who is complaining?

• snowguy716
    16 years ago

Yeah, we really do need a good, snowy winter. I know you winter haters don't want that, but nature really does. We need it to refill our lakes and swamps, to cull the burgeoning deer population, and calm the restless snowmobilers :)

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

And I want a nice snowcover for all my perennials to sleep under this winter. It would also be nice not to have to worry about my mound (septic) system freezing up for a change. That is really not fun. The twenty below stuff and nasty windchills I ca do without, but bring me some snow please. (Just not quite yet!)

• zenpotter
    16 years ago

I am one that hates winter and even I realize we need snow this winter. I love MN just not the cold. I have to many ties here to leave it though.

The rain has been wonderful for the gardens. I have noticed a lot of trees looking very stressed, the rain wasn't soon enough for them for this year. Hopefully they will recover.

While digging down 4' to anchor a sculpture in my garden we realized it was wet that far down. We didn't keep going to find out how far it was wet.

• jel48
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I agree, we do need snow this winter (and every winter) for the moisture it brings. But here in my county, we've had a lot of flooding on two different occasions during the last couple of months. We've had somewhere in the area of a foot and a half (actually I believe a couple inches more then that, maybe even closer to 2 feet) of rain during that time. It's not soaking in really fast here at the moment.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio