Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I buy garlic bulbs this time of year?

Posted by gamebird MN, 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 07 at 13:11

Where can I buy garlic bulbs this time of year? From what I can tell, this is the time to plant them for a late spring harvest. I have some spots I could put them in, but my favorite nursery tells me they only get and sell garlic bulbs in the spring.

I've planted a couple I bought from the store, but I was hoping to get a cultivar more suited to the home garden.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I buy garlic bulbs this time of year?

• Posted by jel48 Z3/4 Minnesota (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 28, 07 at 17:39

Here are some links I found online, Gamebird, by searching Google for the words: garlic bulb planting

The Garlic Store
http://www.thegarlicstore.com/index.cgi/prod4401.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Gurneys Garlic Stock

o

any hardneck from seedsavers.org

Here is a link that might be useful: growing garlic in mn

o

I usually get mine from The garlic store, I have also ordered from Seeds of Change. I would be a bit cautious of ordering from Gurney's. Check out Dave's Garden, The Garden Watchdog for reviews of various mail order companies.

o

Territorial Seed Co.

o

The farmer's market here in Duluth had several different home grown varieties. I bought 4 different bulbs and separated them and planted about 32 cloves. Nice cuz I didn't have to buy 1/2 pound of one variety or pay shipping. Just hope they grow.

o

• Posted by jel48 Z3/4 Minnesota (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 30, 07 at 10:17

Hostaholic, you're right about Gurneys. I'd forgotten I'd read that on Garden Watchdog too. Funny how things can change. Years ago they were a standard. My mom did all her ordering from Gurney's and Earl Mays for as long as I can remember.

o

Yes, my mom ordered all her stock from Gurneys too. When I first started gardening I ordered from them too, until I started getting poor quality stock.

o

hello can somebody tell me were i can sell garlic bulbs, wery strong taste, 3x time stronger like chines garlic bulbs. Im from europa and growing only organic food.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here