Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janroze

Hi, what's new in your garden this year?

janroze
15 years ago

Just stopping by to see what you are all up to now and to say "Hi." Hope all is well with you MN gardeners and you are enjoying this glorious fall. Wondering too, what is new in your garden this year and has it been successful?

gramma jan

Comments (12)

• leftwood
    15 years ago

Hi Jan, nice to hear from you.

My latest and greatest (but not winter hardy):

Lilium speciosum var. gloriosoides

• heleninramsey
    15 years ago

Beautiful lilies ... they must have been a treat to watch bloom.

My favorite new things are not hardy either, and not at all unusual, but the first time I have had them. Verbena bonariensis, Nicotianna bella and Melinis nerviglumis. I had wanted the verbena forever and it did not let me down, the nicotianna provided me with the grandest texture and the Melinis is just about the prettiest grass I have ever seen.

Gramma Jan...What were your favorites?

Helen.

• Nettie
    15 years ago

Wow Rick- those are gorgeous!

Well I hate to post my list just before we head into winter or I may regret it when next spring's RIP thread comes out. I bought quite a few hydrangeas this year- Limelight, Quickfire, Little Lamb and Endless Summer. Got a Star Magnolia and the Black Lace Elderberry.
    You know what is doing well? I have a bumper crop of fall raspberries right now that I can't keep up with. I'm picking 4 to 6 pints each evening.

• may8
    15 years ago

Hi Rick- those are BEAUTIFUL!!!! The photography is excellent too!!! Besides having green thumbs, you are a great photographer too!

Nettie, congratulations on your raspberries. I am jealous. Mine are terrible this year, maybe too dry. Are your raspberries ever bearing or just fall bearing. My supposedly ever bearing ones only bear two crops, one in July, the other seldom ripens before it freezes. My ever bearing strawberries only fruit in June. Does ever bearing mean bearing continuously all season?

• Nettie
    15 years ago

Sorry if I confused you- these are everbearing and we get two crops out of them, not like an everbearing strawberry. We have Heritage which is a red and then a gold one. I think the two of them crossed because we started to get a peach colored berry in between the two. Makes for some pretty jelly. I agree that they don't like dry weather and we have been lucky this year to get enough rainfall.

• leftwood
    15 years ago

I am guessing "the gold one" might be Fall Gold. Seems to be the most popular. So both your Heritage and the gold one are producing both summer and fall crops abundantly? Most impressive.

The pics of the lily are with my very first digital camera, a Panasonic Lumix TZ4. Bought just before the flower opened, they were among the first photos I took with the camera! The TZ4 is really just a souped up point and shoot camera, not even a digital SLR. What a difference, going from using an all manual 40 old Minolta SLR (still love it), to this. The first photo of the lily with the almost black background was done with a forced flash on a cloudy day.

• leftwood
    15 years ago

My Melinis 'Pink Crystals' I had a few years back never bloomed at all.

• lori1_grow
    15 years ago

Hello all, Im new to the forum. I was luck enough to be able to add a Twisty Baby locust to my collection this year! Also a Japanese Umbrella pine... it was hard to find but I scored!!

• ginkgonut
    15 years ago

Tried a few new annuals, for me at least:

Pennisetum messiacum--Bunny tail grass. Nice pink flowers over blue foliage
    Firecracker vine--cool flowers, but didn't start until September
    New Zealand Wind Grass--no flowers, but turned a wonderful orange-red in the fall and stayed that way until the recent cold.
    Crossandra Orange Marmalade--nice pastelish orange flowers. Did great in sun or shade

New Shrubs/trees. We'll see what spring brings
    Larix Blue Rabbit--blue needles with pinkish shoots. Excited about this one.
    Prunus Princess Kay
    Hemlock Moonfrost--Rabbits already munched on this one
    Picea abies Vermont Gold
    Picea glauca Rainbow's End-Second flush of growth is yellow
    Picea glauca echinoformis-cute little ball of tiny needles
    Chamaecyparis Green Arrow-I'm not too attached, but I am hoping
    Chamaecyparis Strict weeper-ditto above
    Magnolia Elizabeth
    Cornus alt. Golden Shadows

• leftwood
    15 years ago

Welcome Lori! Japanese Umbrella pine is indeed a find. Usually quite expensive too. I find them to be very temperature hardy, but not tolerant of much winter sun. Excellently drained soil, yet ample moisture seem to please them.

ginkgonut, nice list of woodies.

• lori1_grow
    15 years ago

Thanks for the welcome leftwood!

• peggy_hosta
    15 years ago

Hi, I added about 25 hostas to my collection and started a fern garden with Athyrium 'Burgundy lace', A.Filix femina, A.'Frizelliae', A.'Silver Falls', and A.nipponicum "Pictum'
    and elsewhere the Tiger Eye sumac, and some Endless Summer hydrangeas. I've heard the ES hydrangeas can be a challenge in my area but I planted them on the south side of my house so hopefuly they survive.
    Peggy