Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
srj19

Hot Pepper Spray questions: making, affect on taste, effectivenes

srj19
9 years ago

Hi,

I'm considering making some hot pepper spray to deter whatever is getting into and eating things in a garden surrounded by a 5 1/2 foot fence. No tracks are seen but beets and kholrabi were routinely chewed, and now it's tomatoes that are half eaten and some bites on an squash. I suspect voles and rabbits, but possibly turkey or racoons.

Anybody have a proven recipe for pepper spray, I don't know the first thing and don't even know if fresh or dried pepper and what variety to use, or what oil or wax substance should be used to keep it on the plant for the maximum time.

I suppose I should ask how effective a deterant it is as well. I had good results stopping deer from chewing on tomato plants with a bonide product but that's the extent of my knowledge.

This food is for a charity donation garden and I'm also interested to know if this will seriously affect the taste of the produce or be difficult to wash off.

Hows the application work when using a pump sprayer, is a full head-covering and breathing apparatus required to avoid from burning oneself?

Lots of questions I know, thanks for any advice you have.

Scott

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting