Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
propagated hardy roses - now what do I do?

Posted by debrajeanette 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 5, 09 at 14:33

I managed to propagate my 'lovely fairy' rose by taking cuttings and now have 10 little plants. I did this last year and planted them outside and none made it through the winter although the 'mother plant' has made it through many winters in my yard. I planted them out in October last year. This year they are done earlier so I have a choice of planting them outside or keeping them inside. Does anyone have any experience with this, or a recommendation? Should I plant them outside or should I keep them inside over winter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: propagated hardy roses - now what do I do?

Obviously, your little plants did not have time to establish before last winter, which was exceptionally cold. I would either plant ASAP and probably mulch them heavily this winter or find a way to store them dormant over the winter. I use the root cellar in an unheated basement to store dormant plants because my garage is detached. An attached garage may work also. Just keep an eye on them as I have found roses come out of dormancy pretty easy as the temps increase in the spring.

o

Next time you might try sticking your cuttings directly into the ground from the start. I've had luck getting rose cuttings through the winter when they've been started directly in the ground. My "holding bed" is in a semi shady area and I keep the plants moist until they have rooted.

o

Absolutely do NOT keep them inside over the winter. Plant them now and mulch them well. I make a cylinder of chicken wire to go around my more tender roses and new plants, then mound them with a bit of compost and fill the cage with leaves. Works wonderfully! You don't want to mulch like this until the ground starts chilling down considerably however, as in this weather they will cook. In spring just as it's starting to think about thawing remove the cage but leave the leaves. Remove them layer by layer as thawing occurs and the weather warms so you don't shock your rose.

-Marie

o

I grow my rooted cuttings (small plants) inside under fluorescent lights over the winter. You have to watch for spider mites and, in early spring, aphids. Never lost a one. GaryStPaul

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here