Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carmellia_gw

Another pumpkin posting

carmellia
16 years ago

Have you ever had bugs bore INTO your pumpkins?

I have had them bore into the vines and into the crown, but I have never before had them bore into the actual pumpkin.

I was going to move my largest pumpkin to pull some nearby weeds and could feel that the bottom of it was soft. When I opened it up, it was total mush - there were lots of small black bugs scurrying around. It was so disgusting, I did not look any further. I just poured the whole thing into the compost.

Then I checked my other pumpkins and found evidence of 2 bug entry holes on one. It was not soft, but I cut it open to check anyway. There was no mush, but there was a grub or larva tunnelling up the wall. It was white and about an inch long and chubby. It had made itself a nice comfy little cavern.

This is a new one on me. Has anyone else had experience with this? Carmellia

Comments (6)

• gamebird
    16 years ago

I had a squash vine borer get into an acorn squash, where the squash was up against a leaf stem. Fortunately I found it before it got more than a half inch in and I was able to pull it out and save the squash.

Squash vine borer grubs are white and about a half inch to an inch long.

• jel48
    16 years ago

I've seen it Carmellia, but many years ago, and I don't recall whether I did anything about it or not. Probably not, because (although I'm not strictly an organic gardener) I hesitate to use chemicals to get rid of bugs in the garden.

• carmellia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I try not to use chemicals too. I have battled the cucumber type beetle every year I've planted vine vegetables, but this problem with squash vine bores is new to me. Are there any controls that you think make a difference? In reading up on them, it doesn't sound like they are vulnerable to chemical controls.

Carmellia

• gamebird
    16 years ago

From what I've read, there's no control for squash vine borers except physically removing the grubs. Or injecting the grubs with Bt. I've heard that some have luck with taking large-bore human injection needles (like for diabetics) and injecting Bt into the vines and hollow leaf stems.

And that row covers work, unless the critters are already infesting your soil.

• carmellia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have heard that from someone else too, the injecting thingy. I think I may try it. I have a bunch of insulin needles that I just can't seem to throw away.

When I bought my house 4 years ago, there were boxes of unopened insulin needles. One of the previous owners (the one who died) had diabetes. At one point I tried to donate them to some organization that shipped medical equipment, among other things, to 3rd world countries. But they said they were unable to accept needles.

It is music to a packrats ears when they hear of some use for something they stuffed down the rathole years ago. I will get some Bt and try it next year. If anyone else would like to try it, I can send them a handful, if I can't be busted for it. Carmellia

• pharmerphil_07
    16 years ago

A old nylon stocking around the "stump" will keep them from the vines.
    We raise giant pumpkins for competition, organically...needless to say, we have yet to get a monster, our personal best was 528 pounds, in 2006.
    Very tough to do without chemicals, but I'd rather have a small giant than a poisoned one.