Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trailerthrash

early june blue blooms?

trailerthrash
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some royal-deep blue flowers that bloom in early june for my wedding. I plan to grow them from seed/bulbs in small pots to put on tables at the reception that will also serve as take-home favors. I have grow lights in the basement and mostly know how to grow things (I'm a veggie gardener), but I don't know what flowers would do well in this situation and be in bloom at the time I need them to be. Can anyone think of anything off the top of their heads? Thanks!

Rachel

Comments (7)

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    15 years ago

Maybe lobelia.

• heleninramsey
    15 years ago

Good idea Hostaholic...all I could come up with were things that were too purple or way way way to big!

Helen

• Nettie
    15 years ago

I just hosted a wedding in my yard this summer and trying to time things to bloom is very difficult- there are so many factors. Grow lights aren't always the right spectrum for blooming plants so I would check that out too. I would have a Plan B ready to go such as buying a flat from a nursery and transplanting into my little pots. I was yanking out plants from my hanging baskets and popping in new blooming flowers right up the the day before the wedding- very challenging.

• janroze
    15 years ago

Boy, I grow lots of flowers, but that is a toughy., I think hostaholic hit on the best or maybe only one.
    I was at an elegant wedding, hosted by well-off parents, that had pots everywhere, even centerpieces of 'Springerae-asparagus fern" in terracotta pots /w white mineral deposits still on them, They had sparsely glued one inch royal blue realistic silk flowers (small asters maybe), to the ferns. I thought they were real--I think they fooled me bacause they were so sparse. They were elegant and gorgeous. I have also seen terra cotta pots, with green mold on them, used.

• janroze
    15 years ago

I should have mentioned that you could mimic the mineral deposit with off white craft paint at the bottom of the pots.

• rosebacopa2
    15 years ago

why not try some annuals like Salvia Victoria, you would have to force them to bloom with fertilizer.
    Good luck
    Lynn

• trailerthrash
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions! I've decided I'll try to grow some annuals from seed, and if they look wonky or aren't ready when I need them, I'll go out and buy some in flats. Nothing will be wasted because I can plant the ones I grew at home, and if it does work out it will be a special gift for our guests. I just figure that I have the equipment and space, so I might as well try it!

Right now I'm looking at a love-in-a-mist mix...is this a foolish endeavor? Anyone have any experience/advice? Also, Lynn, forgive my ignorance, but why/how does fertilizer force bloom, and what kind would I use for that? Thanks again!

Sponsored