Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Update on fall swap

Posted by heleninramsey 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 9, 08 at 17:26

The fall swap has been posted and is scheduled for this Saturday, September 13th at my house. Linda suggested that we reverse things a bit and have the swap first and the lunch second, so that people who are short on time can attend the swap and then leave if need be or stay for the potluck. A good idea, so that is what we will do. Arrival and set up at 11:00 or so, and swap by noon? I am open, but we could get the thing going so that more people can participate. I also neglected to include that friends are welcome, the more plants to swap, the better for everyone involved.

Helen.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Update on fall swap

Hi Helen, if you live in Mpls. I'm 4 hrs straight west of you in So.Dakota! I'm new to this forum (mainly read the hosta forum) but I'm considering having a swap with friends next June. got an idea from either birds & Blooms or Garden Gate about a swapping idea. For every plant you bring, you can exchange for that many. Like if I bring 6 1-gal plants, I can chose 6 plants that my friends bring. How are you doing yours?
Peggy

o
RE: Update on fall swap

Hi Peggy,

Well I have only been to one swap and it was fun...went like this. Everybody brought in their plants and we walked around and each person gave a brief summary of what they had brought. Then we swapped in rounds. In the first round everyone picked 3 different plants (you have to choose 3 different ones, not three of a kind) In the second round we choose 3 more, and in the third 3 more. Then everyone was free to choose whatever was left. As some gardeners had a lot to bring and some were beginers, we do not require that you take as much as you bring, and there were plenty of plants to go around. We also invite seeds and tubers and bulbs and the like. The only requirement is that you bring home any of your unswapped plants as this can cause problems for the host. Because of the large scale of the swap in the spring (our turnout for fall is abysmal so far) some people (esp. hosta fanatics) set up personal swaps ahead of time...this is absolutly acceptable, a special hosta for another special host sorta thing. I don't get hostas cause I have no shade but I may set up something with my daylilies.

Hope this helps a bit, and good luck with your swap! You will find that the others have way more experience than I do as others respond to your post...there are a lot of good ideas floating about in cyberspace.

Helen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here