Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's biting me?

Posted by suzinnia z4mn (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 4, 06 at 17:42

I tend to get some sort of bug bite when I'm out and about in the thick of my gardens. Wondering if anyone would know what kind of critter is assaulting me. The bites tend to occur more when I'm wearing long pants. I feel nothing when the bite occurs. there is no pain or itching. the bites look as if someone took a pencil eraser and dipped it in rouge and touched it to my leg. They seem to occur on the front of my legs from just above the ankles almost up to the knee. there are sometimes 2 or 3 bites per gardening session and they just seem to last so long. look obnoxious to me. (I don't show off my knees to the general populace all that much anymore) Does anyone know who is finding me so tastey (earwigs .....? spiders....? ) Wondering if there is any sort of repellent that would help prevent the chomping of me. It doesn't seem to be biting flies....they go for the back of the ankles usually and don't correspond to the bite sites.
Suzy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's biting me?

I don't know what's after you - you're just too sweet!!! But, try picking a leaf of plantain out of the garden and rubbing it vigorously over the bite. I can almost guarantee that the itch will go away immediately.

Lynn

o

No-see-ums

Nasty tiny little gnaty things that bite into your pores. They love me too :)

-Marie

o

There is no pain or itching at all involved with these bites. I have a co worker who gets chewed up by gnats at the golf course all of the time, and they seem to bite her more around the head. My attack sites are always on the legs. They only way I'd know I was bitten is to notice the darker rosey spot.
Lynn, you herbal wise woman, thanks for the pointer about plantain. I will try to file that away in the cockles of my grey matter. no shortage of plantain in my yard.
I was so sure there would be an entymologist in our midst...
Has anyone got any other natural anti bug agents to recommend. I thought I'd read that mint repels bug bites. rubbed some spearmint leaves on my ankles when I was getting bitten by those gosh darned whatever kind of flies and they seemed to leave me alone for about 4 1/2 minutes when I did. Am I just imagining that.....(getting delusional in my old age)?
thanks for the input guys.
suzy

o

Suzi, they'll bite me anywhere they can get - often on the legs, but that's what they are in my yard at least :) They aren't even bothered much by DEET, sadly - I haven't found anything they won't ignore yet. Doesn't itch much, just hurts like heck when they bite you.

-Marie

o

The stronger smelling mints, like pennyroyal, will most likely work. The lemon scented geraniums also, lemon balm, possibly thyme. I think Julie had an idea for a necklace or earrings that was made of clay, then essential oil was applied to it. Sounds great to me:) Something to experiment with!

Lynn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here