Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ravaged by Japanese beetle

Posted by Mary_AnneTM Minnesota (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 4, 11 at 18:27

Hello, another question by this newbie, hopefully the last one for today.

Our rose bush, which bloomed so beautifully this year, has lost maybe more than half of its leaves from Japanese beetles. Another larger tree, that had beautiful dark pink blossoms this spring had a large chunk of its leaves taken as well.

Would these trees survive and bloom the same next year? Or are they much weaker (not as healthy) and it may not bloom or even die from it? I guess what I am asking is that I can see what the beetles have done, but I am wondering if the damage is permanent (or goes deeper and beyond the surface).

I am sorry that I am so ignorant in this area. I've read about posts in this forum about how to get rid of the beetles, but not about what I can do about plants that have been ravaged. If the treets are not as healthy because of the beetle damage, what can we do at this point? Any guidance is appreciated.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ravaged by Japanese beetle

At this stage all you can do is be sure they go into the winter well hydrated. Keep them watered until the ground freezes. Hopefully we'll get some fall rains.. Usually, the damage you describe will not harm the roses or tree in the long term. If it continues year after year it might weaken them. Other environmental factors also play a role. Extreme heat, drought etc. Check out the website I gave you on your geranium post. There is a wealth of info there. Search Japanese Beetles on the extension website. Good luck in your gardening and your quest for gardening knowledge. It's a journey which never ends.

o

Hostaholic2, Thank you for all your responses! I will check out the Extension site. It's good to know that the beetle damage is not permanent or kill the rose or the tree (at least not yet). I will read up and consider a way to avoid the infestation next year.

o

I have read that the beetles like roses and crabapples (your pink tree), but so far the beetles have skipped mine and headed for my birch trees and the morning glory. They actually had to fly over the roses to get to the morning glory. You will have to spray the roses next year or use a systemic.

Damage to part of the tree will not damage it, but I have seen entire lindens defoliated this summer.

A biological control without toxins is milky spore, which I have bought at Menards and will spread tomorrow on the lawn before the rain.

o

Thank you tom_mn for your post! I'm sorry that I did not notice your response until now. My first preference is not to spray chemicals, so I am interested in the milky spore that you mentioned (sounds like I can get it easily too). I will look into it more and see if I can use it next year (imagine too late for this year?).

o

Mary Anne: Sorry, I only have just seen your post now. Milky Spore can be applied anytime the soil is not frozen.

I feel that JBs are down 60% in my yard this year over last, but other people who did not use Milky Spore also have seen a reduction, although not as much as mine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here