Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michele13bugs

My Trumpet Vines have giant PODS

michele13bugs
16 years ago

My about 10 year old Trumpet Vine for the first time has developed giant bean like pods at the ends of where the trumpet blooms were. I had this vine for about 5-6 years before it bloomed, it's on about it's 3rd year of blooming. Every year the plant gets more and more beautiful trumpets. The hummingbirds love this plant. My question...I assume these giant pods are a seed pod...should I do anything? leave them be...cut them off...try to plant them? Anyone with any knowledge I would appreciate any help I can get. Also, last year I drastically pruned the vine, is this a good idea, it seems to be doing wondefully. I planted it along a chain link fence where my dogs are, I wanted to hide the ugly fence, it's doing a good job, but was also climbing up a tree nearby, so I cut it back quite a bit...should I cut it back every year? .

Michele...>^,,^

Comments (16)

• deweymn
    16 years ago

Just for the hay of it, I did a search using the tool bar search and found many threads on the subject. Now, thanks to you, and the fact I just planted one for a future trellis, I will have to read all of them. (Just kidding).

Anyone responding to michele's questions, I have some also.
    How long till mine flowers? How much growth should I expect next year? (Will it grow as fast as morning glories?) I will cover it with straw/leaves this fall since it can get cold here in St Paul.

• flower_cat
    16 years ago

Since we gave out cuttings of our trumpet vine at the Plymouth swap, it's only fair for us to give some advice!

First a warning, all parts of the trumpet vine are poisonous, so take care if you have pets.

Trimming is a great idea if you want to control its growth, you can do this safely in spring. Obviously wait until it has gotten established before you prune.

If you're waiting for flowers or it hasn't grown much, you might be pampering it too much. They really don't need much attention as far as watering or fertilizer goes. They do like a lot of sun however so check your location.

The pods are freaky looking, aren't they? I've seen birds nibble at them in winter if they're left on the vine. If you don't want the vine to spread, however, you should de-pod them to prevent seeds spreading.

I would say it doesn't grow as fast a morning glory, but once you have it in a good spot, you should see steady growth. Some people see blooms immediately, for others it can take a few years. Patience!

Apparently in warmer climates it's known as an invasive killer that strangles out other plants as badly as kudzu. I guess MN has some benefits!

• jel48
    16 years ago

I'm glad to see this post as well.... I don't have a trumpet vine and have never had one. I've planted about every other hummingbird attractor I can find, but have never planted a trumpet vine because of their reputation for taking over. My sister (who lives in a 100 year old + house in mid-Iowa) has even had hers grow between her window and storm window as if it were trying to come right inside the house! I've been very very tempted though... So, flower cat, you sound as if that's not a problem here in MN. I'd like to hear from others as well. Those of you who do have trumpet vines in MN, particularly south of the twin cities, what has been your experience? Have they been invasive for you or not?

• charl-ann
    16 years ago

Hi there. I am about 15 miles north of Msp/StP, and my trumpet vine hasn't flowered yet. I planted it last year, no flowers but growth of about 3 feet. This year, still no flowers but growth at about 8 feet (I have it facing south on a trellis near the garage), so I am still optimistic that I will get flowers in 2008! It is a nice green plant, so like I said...I am hopeful!
    I would take the pods off, place in a container and let them dry and open, collect the seeds and plant for more or give them away.

• ladylotus
    16 years ago

This was my trumpet vines 5th summer and still not flowers. I get a beautiful, healthy looking plant each summer. Oh well...eventually it will bloom.

I had a wisteria this was it's 8th summer and it had it's first 3 beautiful blooms on it this summer. The blooms smelled heavenly. I can't wait to see the results next summer as it should be stunning.

Tj

• mnwsgal
    8 years ago

The neighbor removed the trumpet vine growing on the telephone pole in his yard as it was sending runners into his and my lawn. It had bloomed for many years and always attracted hummingbirds. The hummers still come to my flower garden but not as many at one time.

• milmary
    8 years ago

I would love to have the red variety!! Mine is orange and BEAUTIFUL!! Got any seed pods you want to swap??

• ddshaw1125
    8 years ago

Collecting seed pods and yes, happy to share!

• kimburt45
    8 years ago

Hello, I have plenty of Orange Trumpet vine pods, very healthy at that, if you would like to trade some I would truly appreciate it!

• bettycallahan3
    7 years ago

I live in Illinois and it took 8 years before my "yellow" trumpet vine flowered..I had transferred it from back yard to front and threatened it .. no bloom? out of here!! It bloomed, and has a few seed pods as well. I would love to have seeds from the Red one. My plant not only grew and flowered...it has babies coming up all over my garden. Happy to share yellow seeds

• Ana Sanchez
    6 years ago

Wait what sorry trumpet vines are poisonous? What i like to drink the nectar and never been sick because of it... I tried eating it but didn't like the flavour so I stoped... but I love the nectar so I drink it....

• Ana Sanchez
    6 years ago

these are the 1s right?

• Ana Sanchez
    6 years ago

• debratomasso
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I have a weeping hummingbird tree that's only about 4 yrs old. It does get the pods at the end of season. I'm attempting to clone from branches, could I also use the pod seeds. It's my first time.

• Sarah O'Conner
    4 years ago

I’m so confused, I’ve ways picked these flowers in the morning before they open, ( I rent a house with a 60 year old plant that has completely taken over the foundation, devastatingly beautiful) when the dew mixes with the sap, they’re like a perfect sugary shot, you pull the petals from the sepals, make sure theirs no ants, and shoot it back. Delicious. My mind is blown that while I’m looking up this plant today everything says all parts of this plant are toxic! This is the only thing I could find where someone else said they also drink the nectar!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting