Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangeas that are not zone 4

Posted by vpeterson 4-MN (night.owl.ent@juno.com) on
Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 21:41

Has anyone ever tried to grow hydrangeas in pots that are not zone 4 hardy and bring them inside in the winter? Do they need sunlight? I am wondering if I could put them in a cellar area that does not get sunlight but stays around 50 degrees all winter? I would like to try some of the beautiful southern ones and keep them on my deck in the summer. Am I crazy to want to try this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangeas that are not zone 4

Let us know how it goes.

o

A person I knows gets potted tender roses thru the winter in an area of her attached garage where she's able to maintain conditions like a root cellar. Keeps the temp above 32 F but tries to keep below 45 F, keeps it dark & waters them at least once a month. So give it a try & let us know.

o

50 degrees is probably too warm. Even if sucessful, the plants will probably start growing much earlier than desired so you will have to check on them. Too much growth in the dark is bad.

My attatched garage goes well below freezing (not insulated and attatched off the side of a rambler) so I put the pots against the house wall and put some blankets over them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here