Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Austin roses for south MN?

Posted by iowagirl2 4b (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 21:57

I am in love with the cupped and full Austin roses. I know that they need winter protection in my zone, but I am wondering which varieties are worthy of the work. I hear that some just cannot take either the sun or the heat of summer and fade out overnight and also that they lose their scent. Please, if anyone is happy with Austin roses in their garden, I would love to hear about it and perhaps see photos?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Austin roses for south MN?

Two that have done well for me without anything special in the way of winter protection: Gertrude Jekyll and Abraham Darby. There are many others that can stand our winters, especially as zone 4 morphs into zone 5.

Gary

o

I live in Minneapolis and have successfully grown DA roses for the past three years. The only protection they get are some fencing & leaves. They survived the heavy (once normal) snowfall we had two yrs ago and the non-existent winter from last year. My favorites are 1) Munstead Wood, 2) Sceptre'd Isle, 3) Winchester Cathedral, 4) Wm Shakespeare 2000, and 5) Molineux. Also have Gertrude Jekyll (sprawls, super thorny, but good scent), and planted Abraham Darby & Golden Celebration this year (both flowered, but this hot summer & the asian beatle was brutal for starter plants). It took 3 seasons for the plants to become considerable in size, but are so worth it for the scent, hardiness, and repeat blooms. Will try to upload some pics later. Can't recommend my first two choices enough.

o

Munstead Wood, 2nd yr plant.

o

Munstead Wood, 2nd yr plant.

o

Munstead Wood; unique bloom off of a 3rd yr plant.

o

Molineux, 2nd yr plant.

o

Thanks for the good word. Munstead Wood is one I especially wanted to try. I heard that Scepter'd Isle cannot take midwestern summers--fades, scent fades and blooms do not last more than a day or two. Has this been your experience with SI?

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 13:45

I had five different ones for five years, actually by the end there were only two.

They did OK in the abnormally warm dry weather but once real cold came back they went one by one.

I DID NOT give them the heavy protection I give my H. Tea roses and had done that one or two may have survived.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here