Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preparing Hydrangeas for winter

Posted by FriendofCanines zone 4 - MN (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 15, 05 at 5:41

I planted 3 Hydrangeas this past Spring; 2 are Endless Summer. I read so many negatives about people not having much luck with them that now I am worried they may not make it through the winter. Do I cut them back or just cover them with leaves and mulch? Please educate this gal on this particular plant. Thanks much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preparing Hydrangeas for winter

I would not cut them back. Make sure they have adequate water this fall, all the way through freeze up. Once the ground is frozen (usually around Thanksgiving time), cover your plants with some leaves, hay or straw. Then, lets hope we have some good snow cover this winter. That is all you need to do.

PP

o

Thank you so much perrenialprincess! You not only have helped me, but my neighbor too. I'm going right outside and water them thoroughly now. Thanks again.

o

My ESummers have done very well this spring and summer. They get morning and afternoon sun with a break in-between.
No-don't cut them back, they bloom on old and new wood.
Yes-mulch the crown. I put a 40lb bag of good soil over the crown. I did the same last yr and didn't have any kill off.
It took 2 years for them to really shine. I keep them evenly moist with a heavy organic soil.
If the leaves are still green and you still have blooms, give it a good shot of water, no fertilizer, to prepare it for winter.
They also really love a lot of acid. I use pine needles as part of their compost. I think success with them depends on patience, good location and even moisture.
I think they have problems when there are in so much light the plant gets distressed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here