Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnsherbs

what are your plans for next year?

lynnsherbs
17 years ago

What do you think you'd like to start from seed, or add as a plant to your garden in '07? I'm definetly trying Astrantia, Clematis stans and variegated poke (you should see the speckles on this thing!). I'm thinking about Epimediums, alpines and veronicas.

You??

Comments (6)

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    17 years ago

I am going try some clematis!I have an old television antennea tower in my yard, and I finally got my DH to help move it to a permanent spot. In the last week I put down the start of a new flower bed around it. And I covered it on 3 sides with some fencing. Should be ready to plant by spring!! I have wanted clematis for ages and ages.

I have another area I just prepared too, in this area I will put some morning glories. I might put some of the MG around the tower too. I know it will take a few years for the clematis to fill in.

I am also going to plant more annuals. The bed I have now is full of perennials. So the new beds (yes with an "s") I plan to leave open spaces so I can put in the annuals.

Jenny P

• meeperx
    17 years ago

Yes-more clematis, love that vine!

Wishlist/Might try:

Variegated Hedge Maple (Acer campestre 'Carnival')
    Columnar Siberian Crab
    'Tina' Crab
    Hemlock Shrubs
    Chamaecyparis pisifera ÂKings GoldÂ
    Tiger Eyes Sumac
    Stephanandra incisa 'Crispa'
    Pinus strobus 'Blue Shag'
    'Wichita Blue' or 'Sky Rocket' Juniper
    Butterfly Magnolia
    Feather Reed Grass
    Joe Pye Weed
    Cardinal Flower
    Hardy everygreen holly
    Winterberry
    Some topiary type evergreen shrubs
    Jean Dilly Spruce
    Dwarf Honeycrisp Apple
    Northstar Cherry

Also going to try and chop down all the nasty boxelders in my yard (and make myself and everyone else on the block happy)

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    17 years ago

Definitely want to get more Astrantias, several new hostas on my wish list, primroses, daylilies, more ornamental grasses, and I'm sure I'll come up with more as I peruse the catalogs this winter.

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

The list is a bit on the long side, I need to shorten it first. I am going to wintersow native plants for both at home and our cabin and extend my sedum bed by several feet. I hope to get newspaper and farmpost down on the hill the sedum bed is on yet this fall.

• kristal
    17 years ago

My plan for the majority of my gardens is to let Mother Nature design them. I have overstuffed them and do not know where I'd put anything new, so I plan to let them fill in with whatever happens to reseed. I do have plans for a new garden, and that's where I'll either relocate some of my existing perennials or seed new ones. It involves putting up split rail fence along the front of the yard, so it depends on dh's schedule and our budget.

• ginkgonut
    17 years ago

I've got a few areas where this hot, dry summer pretty much finished off the grass. Compounded by the fact that two boulevard Elms went down last year, these areas really cook. The boulevard, a west facing slope and the south side of the house which is only about a 3 foot strip of grass. I'm not a lawn person, but am sick of the struggle to keep the grass in these areas looking halfway decent.

I was thinking turning the slope into a rock garden. Dividing some of the tough perennials for the boulevard and extending the bed off the south side of the house to include a path and some low growing plants. Unfortunately, my ideas are bigger than my budget. I'll see what I come up with over the winter.