Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoghaven_duluthmn

Fall colors - ground covers and vines

hoghaven_duluthmn
17 years ago

Fall colors have not been disappointing despite the dry summer. I have been seeing some very bright and pretty ground covers (not poison ivy!) and vines clinging to houses and fences. What are some good varieties of hardy ground covers and vines that do well in your area? Planning for next year. . .

Andi

Comments (10)

• hoghaven_duluthmn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

When I was researching vines, I got "hung up" trying to find an ivy that is hardy in zone 4--only found Boston and English listed. I came across "Engelman Ivy". It is supposed to have nice fall color and be hardy, so perhaps that is what I have been seeing. The article said it can also be used as a ground cover. Does anyone have experience with this vine or any other ground covers or vines with fall color?

Andi

• sjmarq
    17 years ago

Might be virginia creeper. Some find it agressive, some are sensitive to the plant.

Others to consider: http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/components/DG0545vine.html

• duluthinbloomz4
    17 years ago

Engleman Ivy is a Virginia Creeper - "Parthenocissus Cinquefolia". Not sure I'd want to get involved with it in a major way (minor way either!) I have one that keeps trying establish itself in some yews. It's little, pulls out fairly easily, but a piece of root must remain since it's back every year. It does have lovely fall color though. I don't know metric, but it can grow to 30 metres.

• Julie
    17 years ago

I have virginia creeper all up my house- and everywhere it seems! It will stay low out in the woods letting the Grape vines get a hold of the tree branches. I do like it's fall color- but it is very hard to remove- even with all the right chemicals..... The birds eat the berries and help spread this plant as well.
    I do not know what might be good for fall colors- but if you see something you like- why not ask the gardener growing it what it is- usually folks appreciate a compliment- and they may even reward you with more than a name!
    Vitis ÂBluebellÂ-Akebia quinata (Chocolate Vine)-Trumpet Vine-Boston Ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidata)-Honeysuckle Vine- FAST GROWING BALLOON VINE-Hardy male Kiwi Vine- Silvervine-Mountain Fringe-Birthwort, Dutchman's Pipe- ASPARAGUS verticillatus- are just a few of the vines listed when I did a google search for ' vine zone 4'. You would have to read more about them to know if any have good fall color though-
    I do hope you find you hearst desire!
    Julie

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

My only addition to this is, if you have a stucco house do not let vines grow on it. The roots go into it and can cause a lot of damage. They do look wonderful in the right place.

Pauline

• hoghaven_duluthmn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That is helpful and interesting--esp. that virginia creeper and Engelman Ivy are the same thing. I think I will be brave and try it as a ground cover on a bank that I don't like mowing. If it gets out of control, I do have a machete ;)

Julie in Henning, if you ever get to New York Mills in July or August, check out the trumpet vine on the south side of the post office.

Andi

• ladylotus
    17 years ago

Andi,

I've seen the variagated Engleman Ivy and it is spectacular. It is not as agressive as the green Engleman Ivy and it does have some nice Fall color but not as colorful as some. I plan to add this one to my garden next year.

Julie, you mention Akebia quinata (Chocolate Vine) have you grown this vine? I picked it up this summer in Nebraska and can't wait to see what it does. Now it must be putting all it's energy into it's roots as it is just sitting and not putting up any additional foliage. I also purchased Dutchman's Pipe in Nebraska this summer and can't wait to see what this one will do as well. I hear this one is borderline hardy so I will be mulching it for the Winter.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    17 years ago

I have Virginia Creeper and love the fall color. That said I've heard it can be a real nusiance. Mine was here when we moved here 15 years ago. Except for an occasional seedling it pretty much stays put. It's growing over a large arbor and gets quite a bit of shade. A couple times a season I yank off the growth that threatens the bed at the foot of the arbor. I don't seem to be sensitive to it at least so far.

• Julie
    17 years ago

Hey there Lady-
    I have NOT tried the Akebia..... yet. Some day I will! I just have to come across some seeds first......
    As for Aristolachia- I started 3 varieties from seed this year- and by far- the tropical fimbriata is my fav- so far- they had many verrrry cool blooms on these first year plants- I will try to overwinter indoors to see what happens!
    You have the coolest plants I must add..... I do hope I have a reason to be in your neck of the woods- er- Prairie some day!
    There were many on that list I posted I would like a closer look at......
    Julie

• leftwood
    17 years ago

And I will be leaving my Aristolochia fimbriata outside with gobs and diddles of shredded oak leaf mulch. You never know . . .

Sponsored