Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
north40_gw

Aster division

north40
17 years ago

I have four asters that are close together so they look like one huge plant (they are approx. four foot tall and four foot wide). I believe they are called New England Aster? They're in bloom now and the bees are going crazy over them. Anyway, I'd like to move them next spring. I'm not sure if I'll run into any problems with moving them. Does anyone have these and have you moved them successfully?

Comments (7)

• Julie
    17 years ago

My neighbor brought me a clump of the largest asters I have ever seen in the late spring- she just lifted a chunk of them and tossed them into a couple of grocerie bags- I shared with Dave/Lazyweeder- and I had to leave mine be for about a week- I think he did too- and when I got around to planting them- I just pushed some dirt aside and plunked them in. They hardly missed a beat- even with all the neglect! They are pretty hardy plant in my opinion- I wouldn't think you would have any trouble moving them about- but I would wait till spring as you said before-
    If yours do give you troubles- I can share some of these mosters I have with you-
    Julie

• north40
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for sharing your experience with them. From what you've said I feel better about going ahead with moving them next spring. Even with the gray skies (and rain) today, the purple flowers just glow.

• leaveswave
    17 years ago

They move easy but they also have big root systems so you will get a workout moving them! I have half a dozen different asters and they sure do brighten up the shortening days.

• dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)
    17 years ago

You may not want to move them at all. The only thing Asters need is to be pruned/sheared back twice during the growing season to keep them small. Your Asters were not pruned, that's why they got 4' tall. Next year resolve to do a prune job on them. You will be really happy come October.

• clark106
    17 years ago

I have a big clump too and they seem to have hybridized - originally I had lots of purple and lots of pink, now there is hardly any purple and lots of pinkish-lilac.

• north40
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Actually I want to move them because my husband said he'd build me a pergola next year and the asters (along with a patch of hollyhocks and phlox) will need to be moved because they're in the middle of the flower bed. But if I can move them successfully, I'll be one happy camper. They are spectacular this time of year (Viking purple). So I guess I'll dig deep, move them, keep my fingers crossed and in May/June I'll do some pruning to get even more flowers (just like mums). I've noticed a couple aster stems in with the phlox (about 3 foot away) so I'm not sure how they got spread over there.

• mnwsgal
    17 years ago

I have moved asters many times and had no problems with them settling in the new location. Mine spread via roots so you may need to dig wide to get them all. Spring is the best time to move them but I have moved them any time during the year. They are very tolerant plants.

I sheared mine this summer so they are shorter and more compact this year but also bloomed later and are just now getting into full bloom. It appears that the frost hasn't hurt them. I would like to collect seed this fall.

Bobbie

Sponsored