Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
afterthoughts on Brugs I've traded

Posted by mantorvillain z4bMN Dodge (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 1, 06 at 9:35

I took a number of rooted cuttings to the So. MN fall swap and shared basic cultural info including that you should carry these over the winter in 'growth mode' as they might not have enough root volume to tolerate their going dormant for that long. One other thing I've learned (the hard way) is to give them a good dosing of a systemic insecticide (I've used both bonide granules which you scratch in then water in and Ortho which is in soln but is smelly the first day) and spray the plants down well before bringing them inside. You definitely don't want spider mites to get a foothold during the cold months!
...just wanted to add that as these things are definitely susceptible to SMs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: afterthoughts on Brugs I've traded

Thanks for the warning...I better get them back outside and spray them down.

How often should we water them and should they be fed during the growth mode or should we wait to feed till the spring thru flowering.

o
RE: afterthoughts on Brugs I've traded

Hey there Dave-
This is just a little info of what I learned (the hard way)-
These guys have a dramatic way of telling you they NEED water- they will droop or wilt very effectivily! You will know how often it needs water by it's droop- and learn to water before that happens- It will also push it's roots out of the bottom telling you it is (past) time to repot into a larger pot.
I used a pelleted fertilizer in the soil- which was enough to sustain mine through the winter. And then a weak solution of MG as the days grew longer.
Tammy had a friend who kept her cutting in a north window in the heated part of her house- and it was blooming early in the spring- I kept mine in the cool/cold basement and they struggeled through- with buds only now forming- they definatly do like warmth MUCH beter than cool/cold.
They are suseptable to damp rot. If they are wet and cold- it is a very bad combo for them. I lost a pink ecuador seedling during the summer to this combo.
Tammy keeps hers under flourescent office type lighting which is enough lighting for them. They do not need much light.
They will grow BIG- they will take up SPACE! Be for-warned! I will allow them to grow in my dining room, but I know I will have to remove some furnature for that to happen- and I have warned my hubby!
It is a VERY GOOD idea to treat all container plants before you bring them in- I also will treat my indoor plants in the fall with a systemic granular insectaside before I bring in the outdoor plants. That way the loss to bugs is kept to a minimum.
Thanks so much Will for your cuttings- and all the help you are giving us!
Julie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here