Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dandy_line

Plants now dormant, why no swaps?

Since plants are mostly dormant now, why aren't there any swaps planned? Those previous swaps theat were held in September were too early I thought. But now seems to be perfect. The plants are dormant and the ground unfrozen.

Comments (3)

• Julie
    17 years ago

Hey there Dandy-
    I know from my experience that many of the plants that I try to establish in my beds this late in the growing season do not do so well- in fact- many die as they did not get enough time to settle in before the winter came. Part of that may be that I do not water after the hoses get put away so they do not freeze up and burst.
    I have already burried potted plants into the ground for winter as I did not want to disturb the roots too much this late in the season. I still have a few left to do this to- and am stalling as it is quite chilly to be digging in the daylight hours after work.
    But-wait- there is a MN GW Forum swap comming up! It is the MN GW Forum Winter Blues Seed Swap! We will be getting together to share seeds and other garden stuff in January at Dotty's house in Ham Lake. The details will be posted in early November- but the time is "ripe" to be gathering, cleaning and packaging up seeds to bring and share- or if you can not attend- to mail in your seeds- and another willing volunteer will refill your envelope with new to you treasures found there. This swap is open to any who frequent the MN Forum.
    I do hope you will be able to attend! If you have had little luck with starting seeds- there is a great way for us in MN to start MANY different seeds all winter long! Look to the Winter Sowing Forum and read the FAQs. Any of our winter hardy perennials and hardy annuals can be started that way- and the tender annuals can be "Spring Sown" the same way!

• dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ham lake seems a bit far to go for me. I'm west of Mpls about 60 miles. Plus-I don't know about the rest of you folks but Florida is really a nice place to be in January. At least that's where I'll be.

• lazyweeder
    17 years ago

The reason we have it in Sept is cause the weather is more predictable and it gives the plants enough time to get a little established. And for those of us who procrastinate (my middle name)it gives us enough time to get the plants in the ground before the ground freezes. Half the reason for the swap is to socialize and get good info from fellow gardeners and tour the garden of the host. In October gardens are pretty much done so touring a garden then wouldn't be much fun and it's a 50/50 shot the weather will cooperate.

If your willing to have one give it a try. Or trade one on one in the exchange part of the forum there is still some trading happening there (see wanted: Hosta Leather Sheen).

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES