Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hardiness of sempervivum (hen & chicks)

Posted by peggy_hosta z4 neSD (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 30, 08 at 11:54

On tv, I saw a program where they poked sempervivums in a moss-filled wire sphere. (There was some soil in the center of the moss) Do you think h&c would survive the winter if left in that "ball" outside or put the whole thing in a box filled with leaf mulch outside or ???
Peggy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hardiness of sempervivum (hen & chicks)

I was just looking around this site and found this:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/winter/msg1114575816797.html?7

Several replies about H&C's there,
I recently got some from Menards at a good price and planted them in the ground a little over a week ago. They should do ok here in St Paul. I will move them in the spring. One container I am keeping in the Kitchen south window and split a couple of chicks and they are in separate small pots. I will see how they doing over the winter there.
GL

o

wiley that is a nice link.

I have several different sempervivum plants and they do very well in the ground all winter. I did find that my first two years of trying them did not make it over the winter. Then I made a cactus and sempervivum garden by adding, gravel and sand to my garden soil and built it up enough that is drains very well.

I guess I would be cautious about leaving them in the sphere. It "feels" as if the roots wouldn't be protected enough in our cold winters.

o

My hens & chicks were in small pots which I popped into the ground in my holding bed before going on a vacation for a week. They had grown well in the pots all summer but now they look horrible. Either they have rotted or something has eaten them to the soil (I do have a deer & rabbits eating lots of things in that bed). Hens & chicks do not do well for me. These looked so nice that I thought, "maybe this year...".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here