Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulsnowflake

What kind of tree is this?

joyfulsnowflake
17 years ago

I took this picture when visiting split rock state park on the north shore last October. I thought the red berries are very pretty and very curious about what kind of tree this is?

Comments (9)

• john_w
    17 years ago

It's the native mountain ash, Sorbus americana. It gorws beautifully along the north shore

Here is a link that might be useful: More information about American Mountian Ash

• joyfulsnowflake
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you. Indeed, it is beautiful.

• leftwood
    17 years ago

A very nice small tree in its native habitat, and seems to do better along Superior than in the interior of northern MN where it is also native. I wouldn't recommend it for a yard though, and certainly not in the Twin Cities.

• lily_digger
    17 years ago

Just read this and I'm wondering if you'd expand a little on why you think not here in the Twin Cities? I grew up with them in my neighborhood in NE Mpls and they were beautiful. I have been thinking about putting one in for the very reason in the question - seeing them on the north shore and having been reminded how much I like them. I'd really like to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
    Lily

• leftwood
    17 years ago

Sorbus species are susceptible to some pretty bad vascular diseases - those that get into the stem and can't be combatted via fungicides. Given that most, and especially americana, are adapted to habitats with cooler and more consistently moist summers - characteristics not found in the southern half of MN, I don't think it would be happy. Actually, you won't ever find americana anywhere to buy anyway. Sorbus decora is a very similar, MN native Sorbus. Being another small mountain ash, it has berries maybe a little more toward the color pink. It would be a better choice as far as adaptability too, and should be available at nurseries if you look. Still, even in the wild the American species of Sorbus are relatively shortlived. I would expect it to last in a typical Minneapolis yard for 15-20 years before it declines.

Very few are planted nowadays, for these reasons.

The ones you saw growing up are most likely a European species, Sorbus aucuparia. Larger growing, but still with the same problems. But, like almost everything, there are always exceptions. 15-20 years may be just fine for you, or you may be a lucky one to get it to live much longer.

• john_w
    17 years ago

There is one Sorbus that can be grown here, Korean Mountain Ash, Sorbus alnifolia. Its leaves are different and the fall color is a yellow, not the brilliant orange-red of the natives. This species is more resistant to borers and diseases, but your mileage may vary. Still, it is a nice, small ornamental tree with interest in two seasons: spring flowers, and fall foliage and fruits (clusters of red-purple fruits). It could thrive if you find the right site for it.

If you are looking for a Mountain Ash substitute, consider the Washington Hawthorn, Crataegus phaenopyrum. I have this one. It has very ornamental little orange-red fruits that are quite similar to the native mountain ash. The small tree is very healthy; it has lustrous leaves and similar clusters of little white flowers. And it is tough as nails.

Here's where you can go to learn about Washinton Hawthorn ==> http://www.mnpower.com/treebook/fact28.html

Here is a link that might be useful: More information about Korean Ash

• leftwood
    17 years ago

Good point about the Korean mountain ash, although the flower corymbs tend to be much smaller and consequently less fruit. Still has the attractive bark too.

• fitzerroneous
    17 years ago

Just make sure you don't plant it over your driveway, or anywhere else you park. The house I lived in when I was a kid had mountain ashes too, and I loved the berries and the flocks of birds they attracted in the fall. But think about the mess they'll make before you deicde where to put the tree. :) Ours were right over the driveway and the birds did quite a number on the car...

Fitz

Sponsored