Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennypat_gw

Pansy's and Viola's

I love both of these, but have a hard time growing them from seed. Here is what I would like to do, my DD is graduating in May. I just finished planting 266 tulips, I would love to have pansy's blooming in amongst the tulips. It happened by accident this year, and looked great. I have a number of packages of seed. And I think I have the following options.

#1. Sprinkle some of the seed now, and hope they grow

#2. Talk my DH into building me some cold frames, and try starting the plants in them, in the spring

#3. Forget using the seed I have, and buy starts from the nursery (would rather not)

#4. Forget about blooming pansy's in the spring all together, and just plant the seed out in the garden

#5. Try winter sowing,(which is almost the same idea as the cold frame one)

Which method has the best chance for me?? LOL

Jenny P

Comments (7)

• dr_andre_phufufnik
    15 years ago

# 1 it's too late, same with #2

# 3 is the best. These are available anywhere in April and they can go into the ground as soon as you buy them. Not sure why you would rather not do this.

#4 -- you might not get flowers in time UNLESS you started them indoors in march under grow lights. These are very easy to start.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you
    I would rather not buy them for a couple of reasons, first I am cheap! Actually I have a limited budget for spring flowers, and would like to keep my costs down. Secondly, I can never seem to find the colors I like.

I dont' have much space in my house for starting them, so I guess I really am limited.

Jenny P

• Julie
    15 years ago

EH- In my world- It's never too late to throw hardy perennial seeds on the dirt- although- the wild life will appreciate the banquet-
    I do not use my beautiful cold frames as much as I thought I would- They can get too hot- like a green house- you have to remember to water them- ect ect ect
    I would (and do) wintersow! It just does not get any easier with such high yeild!!
    I would start them now (last month) though- the plants that bloomed in spring were probobly last years plants that came back (they can do that)- or last years seedlings that germinated in the fall and made it through the winter.
    Best of luck to you!
    Julie

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Julie
    Are you saying to start winter sowing them now? Actually that makes sense to me! I know they might start growing, but yes I have had them grow through the winter and bloom in the spring too.

I might just try that! Although I won't have time to put them together until after November 3. I make and sell Jewelry for a living, and have my biggest show of the year in Houston next week. No time for anything until I get back!

Jenny P

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

The Lowe's in our area usually has pansies for 25cents at the end of the season. These are the ones that are quaranteed to come back the next spring, "Rebound". Two falls I planted those pansies and still had them blooming in my gardens this summer. Pulled up most of them this fall as they were eaten down by a deer and looked poorly. May replace them with new plants yet this fall.

I even put a planter full of them in the garage for the winter and had blooms the next spring. Lots of colors and nice sized plants.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I checked our Lowes and other places a while back, they basically only have a few shrubs left. Maybe a few mums No perennials or annuals at all. Thanks for the idea though.

Jenny P

• Julie
    15 years ago

Hi Jenny-
    Yes- I was suggesting trying to wintersow them now- or better would have been in September.
    I have several ws containers that keep spitting out new seedlings especially in the fall that just didn't start in the spring- but because they are hardy perennials- most survive the late transplant and through the winter and will continue to develop great roots till the ground freezes- just like those early spring ws sprouters that seem to sit there in the containers with very little top growth- but boy are they growing roots!
    I have started a few ws containers already of fresh tree and shrub seeds that will do better without drying till December.
    I hope your sale is a success!

Julie

Sponsored