Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladylotus_gw

Garden Photos

ladylotus
16 years ago

Greetings all,

Wake up everyone....It has been really dead on this particular forum all week. I miss reading all your fantastic posts. I suppose all of you are out in your gardens performing your Fall chores. I myself have been involved in building a greenhouse. My non gardening friends all chuckled when I told them I had saved all the material I needed to build my greenhouse (I have saved for the past 11 years). They did not think a girly girl could accomplish this big feat. They also knew I was a perfectionist and thought it would take me 11 years of construction too. ha ha. An older gentleman and I have been working on it for 6 weeks now and I think in a couple more weeks I will have it completed. (please...let this estimate of time be correct. ha ha....I'm exhausted working fulltime then coming home and working on my gh until dark).

I'm very worried about the heat and can't seem to decide on a heat source. I need about 50,000 btu's or more to keep the heat at 40F during the -30F days we have. I would really like to go electrical but may have to resort to propane. I am taking today off from building to investigate my heating situation and hopefully make my decision.

Ok, here are some pictures of my gardens. I took this last week from the roof of my greenhouse. ;) So things may look a little tired. This is a part of my backyard. I am adding about 8 smaller trees this Spring in hopes of creating a bit more filtered light so things are not quite so dratted hot during mid July and Aug. Everything is still a work in progress as many of you know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall Garden Photo

Comments (9)

• jel48
    16 years ago

Hi Ladylotus! Enjoyed reading about your greenhouse and seeing your garden pic. Have you taken any of the greenhouse in progress? You said that you've saved material to use in it for the last several years. I'm very curious about what kind of material you are using and how it's coming along.

• zenpotter
    16 years ago

I like the photo. I am curious about the material as well. I need to take the time to figure out how to add photos.

• heleninramsey
    16 years ago

Ditto to the above, would love to see the in progress greenhouse too...I also can not seem to figure out how to add pix... but I was in the garden all last week, cause I could be, so have not been on much as well. But I have a new perennial garden space to show for it and lots of chores done (including the removal of 30 odd square feet of gooseneck loosestrife that I have been poisoning for a month-I am still eccstatic about that this morning) Beautiful garden! Way to go...Helen.

• jel48
    16 years ago

Here's a new post with some directions for posting photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Posting Photos on GW

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Greetings....

I have been collecting sliding glass doors for the past 10 or 11 years. I've also saved wood 2X6, cupboards from old houses, and even some wood cedar siding from an old home being torn down. I want to make it a bit antique looking and will paint everything white and use some bright cheery colors inside for the cabinets and various items inside.

Here is a photo of the greenhouse as of Sunday. I am hoping to get all the siding on this week, then work on the inside.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenhouse

• leaveswave
    16 years ago

Wow, that is some greenhouse! Looks wonderful. Did your helper gent and you come up with detailed plans ahead of time?

Liked your garden pic, too--very inviting.

• jel48
    16 years ago

That is VERY NICE, Ladylotus! You must be able to picture things in your mind very well, in order to plan something like that and save those kinds of items over such a long time period to make it reality. It's going to be just great!

• heleninramsey
    16 years ago

Oh my...That is so (excuse the overused term) awesome...Thanks for sharing, that will make winter sooooo much more pleasant for you! Helen.

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you. You are all so kind with your comments. Yes, I had a vision in my mind. I drew it out on a piece of graph paper (not really to scale) the drawing was basically estimated dimensions and estimated poorly measured doors (I read a tape measure rather poorly...ex.1' and two dots). ha ha. My husband was very worried this project was going to look like a heap of junk. ha ha. As I went along we just came up with nicer and nicer ways to add things. The most difficult part thus far was fixing or making new pieces for the sliding doors if they were rotted out or ruined. Thank goodness for my friend or I would not have been able to figure that part out. He works magic with a table saw. I did make a mistake that I did not correct and can't stop thinking about. On the west side when we framed in my first 4 twin wall polycarbonate sheets, we did not read the directions well enough and I know we have some of them placed upside down. The correct way was to have the UV side facing the sun. Once I peeled off the plastic protection there was no way of knowing which side was the UV protected side. Oh well.

I want so badly to heat the gh this winter and posted questions on the gh forum site asking about heaters. It sounds as though a 50,000+ btu electric heater will cost mega bucks to run according to one posters answer. I will focus on getting it built and then call a local heating company and see what is available. Things like that are so dratted expensive and this one item is STRESSING me out. I know NOTHING about heat...electrical etc. So I feel like a fish floundering on shore. ;(

I'll add more photos of my gardens later this evening. Tomorrow I will once again start working on the gh. I'm getting burned out. I work a full time job and then work until dark on this project. Every piddly thing takes so long to do.

Thanks again for the lovely compliments.