Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulsnowflake

Can black eyed susan be grown from seeds?

joyfulsnowflake
17 years ago

There are lots of Black Eyed Susan in my development and their seedheads are ripen. Will I be able to grow them from the seeds?

Comments (5)

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    17 years ago

Mine do lots of reseeding by themselves, so you should be able to gather seed and sprinkle it where you want them to grow.

• Julie
    17 years ago

Oh Boy and HOW!
    They are easy re seeders- you could just sprinle them on the beds you want them in this fall- OR- you could Winter Sow them- and get even better germination! That is where you take an old container- milk jugs, 2 litres- ect. , put some drain holes in the bottom- a few holes near the top- cut a flap to put in 3" of moist Miracle Grow- sprinkle the seeds on top- secure the flap with duct tape and set outside in the middle of winter! It lets Mother Nature do her thing- in a "mini cold frame" with great soil- and no interferience from hungry mice and birds! It IS gardening in winter! Any perennials hardy to our zone will work GREAT! Look at the Winter Sowing forum- read the FAQs and join the club!
    The seeds for these are a bit tricky to isolate- they look like tiny little rods. You can take a look at them at 'The Seed Site'- give it a google and enjoy seeing what the seeds look like- That site helped me a bunch as I started gathering seeds-
    Don't stop at the Rudbeckia seeds- there are many plantings all around town just ripe for the picking! It is best to just take the ripe seeds without hurting or disturbing the plants- and be sure to ask first if you intend to collect from anothers garden- most gardeners are more than happy to share!
    Speaking about seeds and happy to share gardeners- the MN forum has a seed swap in January- still yet to be posted- where we get together and bring what we have to share with each other! Usually it is seeds that we share- but if you do not have seeds- some other things like old plastic mini blinds for plant markers- old gardening books- or what ever you have to share- even if it is just food for the potluck!
    Oh BTW- Welcome to the forum! I love your GW name- and I know they will love it over in the Winter Sow forum as well!!
    Julie

• joyfulsnowflake
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for the detailed instruction. I am so excited. I am going to collect these seeds as soon as the sky turns sunny again. Julie, I will take a good look at the seed and winter sow forum.

Question: on the milk jug, I need to leave the cap on or off?

Question #2: do i need to set the milk jug in a hole? or on ground?

• joyfulsnowflake
    Original Author
    17 years ago

1. Leave the lid off. Need an opening for air aspiration.
    2. On ground OK.

• Julie
    17 years ago

I drill holes in the bottoms of containers-( Ice Cream Buckets are my favorites!!) and then I drill 4 opposite holes near the top edge of the container- and leave the lids on all winter/spring till the weather gets so hot they may bake.
    I have found they stay moist- but not too wet from rain and snow- and are better protected with the lids on. I will take 2litres and milk jugs and make drain holes- and cut a flap opening 3/4 of the way around near the top- fill with 3" Miracle Grow and sprinkle seeds on top- press gently on soil- close the flap with a small peice of duct tape, and leave that way.
    Strawberry containers do NOT work well- they always dry out- too much air gets through and they 'Freeze Dry'. Air- good- too much air here in MN= Freeze Dried no growth containers and seeds.
    All of my containers are on the ground- well snow by that time- they also are in part sun areas- not full sun at least untill the tops come off because of top growth.
    Oh- you are going to LOVE WS!