Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering Dianthus

Posted by joyfulsnowflake Zone 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 25, 06 at 17:22

I bought some Dianthus 'Parfait Strawberry' from Linder's a few years back. They were marked as annuals. I put them in a planter and every year I brought the planter into the garage around this time of the year. To my surprise, they all came back the next spring. It has been that way for several years now.

This year I have a garden, so I planted them in the front of my flower bed. They bloomed all summer, all the way through fall, even today, really pretty. When they were in the planter, they only bloomed during spring.

Now my question is: Have anyone overwintered this variety of Dianthus without bring them inside? Linder's website said they are not hardy to Minnesota winter. Besides transplanting them into a pot and put in the garage, can they be stored bareroot?

I also hard Dianthus supposed to be pretty hardy. What are some of the hardy varieties that you overwintered without protection? I'd like to plant those next year.

Ying

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering Dianthus

Hi Ying, I have a couple that I've had for several years, just now I can't remember the varieties. Will have to check the tags later and get back to you. ( I'm pretty sure one is Fringed Lovliness or maybe Rainbow Fringed Lovliness.) I started it from seed many years ago which I obtained from Thompson & Morgan.

o
RE: Overwintering Dianthus

Hi Ying, the one variety is called Rainbow Lovliness. I've had it for years, I don't give it any special care. However that one blooms spring, occasionally I'll get very light rebloom. I still have to check the variety on the other one I mentioned. I love that one as it blooms all summer as long as I deadhead it. The heaviest bloom is in spring, but I still get pretty good bloom the rest of the summer. I'll try to check that one in the next couple of days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here