Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
food-grade barrels wanted for rain barrel project

Posted by ronc_southernMN z4 MN (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 28, 05 at 17:22

Does anyone know where I can obtain several (up to 10) 55-gallon barrels for rain water?

I have tried calling all of the soda bottlers in a 50 mile radius, many car washes, and quite a few local businesses (farm supply, hardware).

I am located in Wells, MN (southern MN, just north of Iowa border). I commute to Mankato every day, and I am willing to drive a bit to get these so I can work on the project before winter.

Please let me know if you have any barrels or know of anyone willing to part with some!

Thanks!
Ron

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: food-grade barrels wanted for rain barrel project

I know there've been some threads about this in the past few months, did you try searching the old messages? The best place/price I've found is local to me: Western Container in Mpls' warehouse district.

o

yes... I searched many of the old threads. However, I did manage to locate a number of excellent barrels by using the Minnesota Material Exchange web site. There are a number of business that list drums (as well as other materials such as pallets) that they want to get rid of. I would highly recommend anyone looking to find cheap or throwaway materials for a project to check there.

I had to make a road trip out of it, as the barrels were in Central MN... but it was worth the drive! I got 9 barrels that are white, somewhat translucent, with markings on the side for how many gallons are in each. They used to hold vanilla, so no cleaning will be needed. I paid $5/each for them.

For anyone interested, I found the following link which has inspired me on this project. (http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/articles/adams/audrey/water_barrel.htm)

Thanks for the help!

Here is a link that might be useful: elevated rain barrel idea

o

used wine barrels work great too. I know there are a couple garden centers taht stock them in Minneapolis, as does By The Barrel (www.bythebarrelmn.com). They are probably a little more than 5 bucks a pop though!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here