Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladylotus_gw

This n' That

ladylotus
17 years ago

Now that my gardening season has come to an immediate halt I have more time to reflect on my gardens and spend more time on my computer researching new plants. I have been asked to have my garden on tour for the first time, in a few years. I am now in fast gear moving towards a finshed yard. My patience is wearing thin as everything seems to be taking forever to mature. This summer was a huge set back with the severe drought like conditions and very warm temperatures.

I have 20 acres with approximately 3 acres in gardens full of winding paths and perennials. I moved out here on a pasture with no trees and very hard, clay soil which needs constant amending. I can clearly envision what I want my final product (gardens) to look like. I envision walking down these paths into rooms that you need to pass through various curves etc. before seeing what is around the bend. Now that's all fine and dandy that I can visualize this but how the heck do I get my conifers to grow 10' in a few years? I have strategically placed small conifers in groupings of 3 to eventually break up my open gardens and create beautiful little garden rooms. Ah well, there is nothing I can do but hope for the much needed rains and enjoy my gardens as they are.

I guess I could have all 200+ people perform a visualization session before they walk through my gardens and while they are on the bus. ha ha.... Everyone close your eyes and visualize beautiful, lush little garden rooms with gorgeous tall conifers swaying in the breeze you come around a bend in the path and see.... .... ha ha. They might think me a fruitcake and stay in place on the bus never touring my yard. ha ha Needless to say I am a bit nervous to have my gardens on tour.

Do any of you feel you are running out of patience waiting...waiting and waiting for your plants to mature? Do you have your ultimate goals clearly planted in your head and snap back into reality when you walk your yard? Have you ever walked through your gardens and were feeling pretty good about the progress you are making including thinking things are looking pretty good, you then, on that same day, take a friend through your gardens only to see faults everywhere that you did not see when you were perhaps not quite awake on your earlier rounds of your gardens? Am I alone in these feelings of inadequecy in obtaining perfection?

Enough ramblings. If I would not have this tour I would still be patiently waiting for things to mature. hmmm.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?