Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

The funniest things still growing in MN on October 20th

jel48
16 years ago

Tomatos

Tropical Hibiscus

What do you have still growing or blooming that you just don't expect in late October??

Isn't it GREAT!!! Today was absolutely gorgeous.

Comments (11)

• ladylotus
    16 years ago

I am thrilled to say I still have hibiscus (hardy), daylilies, and of course the usual fall plants such as asters, mums, roses and echinaceas. I really hate to see it all end. My mini roses on my deck looks so beautiful. The color in this cooler weather sure looks vivid.

Your photos are lovely, thank you for sharing.

• ginkgonut
    16 years ago

Just picked some fresh peppers for dinner tonight.

• deweymn
    16 years ago

No frost yet here in Central Mn. I did pull half of my tomato plants. Still got a few that have not ripened due to the cooler wet weather. And some peppers left. Time to rake and compost and maybe set up an area for sq ft gardening (I hope).

• heleninramsey
    16 years ago

My impatiens are in hanging baskets in a maple tree...they are no longer in shade as the leaves have fallen, I find that odd...not much is gone, many things still beautiful. Like Ladylotus, I am enjoying the deep color on the roses in the cool weather and do not want it to end. I may be taken aback with much to do and little time to do it in by waiting for things to give it all up before I clean up, but it would be like shunning a gift to take them before they are done.

Here is a link that might be useful: October (late) 07

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

The frost we had in mid-Sept. took care of my veggie garden and some of the annuals that I didn't get covered or moved into shelter. I did cover peppers, eggplant, tomatoes and beans, but most of them froze anyhow, with the exception of 2 tomato plants. My veggie garden is on slightly lower ground. I have some daylilies still blooming, heliopsis, and tunic flower too. There are also delphiniums still going strong, the impatience and some begonias are still blooming away , and of course the regular fall bloomers.

• ladylotus
    16 years ago

Helen,

WOW!!! I love your entry way...beautiful! Your gardens look so lovely. Thank you for sharing the link to your photos.

• heleninramsey
    16 years ago

Ladylotus, Thank you, and your welcome....Helen.

• selkie_b
    16 years ago

I have Abyssinian glads still blooming like crazy, and one of my cannas that Julie had grown from seed has *just started* blooming! Lovely coral with a delicate tiny flower.

-Marie

• zenpotter
    16 years ago

I have several flowers blooming, but the impatiens are the ones that seen unusual to me. They are still covered with flowers and leaves. I picked two tomatoes yesterday and there are still more on the vines.

• crocosmia_mn
    16 years ago

Giant papyrus and....yes....Crocosmia. Also, my Mina lobata vine is still growing and blooming like crazy --- a single plant has completely swamped its trellis, then some enormous yew shrubs in front of the house and is now trying to find a way to climb the porch pillars.

• jel48
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Isn't it amazing? We did have frost, here in Rochester, night before last, but the tropical hibiscus and my geraniums and other plants still survive and still bloom. I did see a few frosted leaves on the tomatos though!

Sponsored