Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone tried growing magnolia sieboldii?

Posted by iowagirl2 none (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 20:21

Hi! I bought "Growing Shrubs and Small Trees in Cold Climates" at the MN Landscape Arboretum and was shocked to see that it suggested Magnolia sieboldii for zone 4! I just assumed it was too tender. So, does anyone have experience trying to grow this gorgeous tall shrub?

(I didn't check out the magnolias at the arboretum on that visit, but you can bet I will on the next.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone tried growing magnolia sieboldii?

I had the cultivar 'Colossus' in my yard in Minneapolis and it did well. Nice plant. They do have at least one at the Arb.

o

After two or three tries, I now have a M. sieboldii that is hardy. The tree (now 10ft x 8ft) was planted in 1996, so it has been through the normal cold winters of zone 4a before the climate changing began. Although, there were one or two years when it died back some over a winter. The 2012 late spring frost severely killed early foliage, so I only got the sporadic mid summer blooms this season, rather than the big flush in early summer.

Pics from 2011, see here:
http://nargs.org/smf/index.php?topic=274.msg12885;topicseen#msg12885

http://nargs.org/smf/index.php?topic=274.msg10402;topicseen#msg10402

o

Thanks ginkgonut and leftwood. I am planning to check out the sieboldii at the arboretum next year. Your pics are beautiful leftwood. I was really blessed by a chance to live in England for 1 year, I traveled all over seeing in person the many gardens I had read about for years.

At Hidcote there was one of these trained to hang over a woodland path so that one could look up into the flowers, it was so beautiful. I want to try the same here in NE Iowa.

I saw sources for the Colossus, but I'd rather have smaller blooms with the deeper red stamens.

What was/is the soil ph you grew them in? My soil is slightly alkaline, but I read that they should tolerate it.

o

Mine grows in rich clay, pH 6.8-7.

o

Don't know the pH of the soli, but it was very sandy. I think it did scorch a few times during dry summers.

o

I think there's a huge one at Whispering Gardens nursery in Cottage Grove, iirc. It's been a while since I was there, but I seem to recall that it was not a stellata or one of the others I would expect to see.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here