Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canna Seed?

Posted by
juniebug-2006
(gw:juniebug-2006) on
Fri, Oct 27, 06 at 20:28

Hi Everyone!
This afternoon I finally dug up my canna bulbs. One of the stalks had the remnants of a flower, and in the dried up flowerhead, I found two dark berries about the size of peas. Are these seeds? Can I grow a canna from these? I'm assuming that I should keep the seeds and plant them next spring? Any guidance will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Juniebug

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canna Seed?

Oh My Gosh!!
I thought I responded to this a while ago!!
YES- Canna's can grow from seed! They are one of my favorites to start as they come up strong- and as long as there is warmth and light- they continue on growing strong!
You must scarify the seed- I use a dremmel tool or a sharp file- and cut a line into the shell till I see white- no deeper!! And then soak them a day or two and plant in soil- not seed starting mix- and give bottom heat till they sprout- then add light with bototm heat. I start mine around 8-10 weeks before the last frost date for my zone.
They are fun to start indoors- I do hope you will enjoy them as well!
Julie

o

Ideally, you would leave the seeds in the pod until it is dry and they start popping out.

I scarify my canna seeds by putting them in a food processor with a cup of water and running it for about a minute or two. These buggers are hard.

I also put them in water for a day or two and sometimes they start sprouting right in the cup of water.

I love using them in a group planting, in a container on the deck, for a really tropical look.

-Sprout

o

Thanks very much for the pointers! I'm not very experienced with Canna's - last summer was the first time I planted them with any success. Come next March I'm going to give my precious two seeds a couple of good nicks and see what I can grow!

o

Just my 2 cents--

For years I dug up the rhizomes and overwintered them then planted outside in spring. They did well, but never had time to bloom. Then someone on one of the Forums suggested growing them as houseplants, and I now do. They're in large pots--I put them out on the deck in partial sun for the summer and they bloom, get pollinated by the hummers, who adore them, and I bring them into my sunroom for the winter. I collect the seeds and push them into the ground in the planters, and they product new plants. I imagine the nicking and soaking would speed this up, but I'm in no hurry; got all winter, LOL. Anyone else try growing cannas as houseplants?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here