Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coleus

Posted by doucanoe MN 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 6, 08 at 22:19

I am going to attempt to overwinter several of my coleus indoors this year. If they get "leggy" I'll then take cuttings as was suggested by a couple people at the swap.

My question is this. I dug and potted them, brought them inside. So far they are looking really happy. Should I give them a shot of fertilizer? Or should I leave them alone and just make sure they are well-watered?

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coleus

I generally don't fertilize mine. I take cuttings in the fall, root them, pot those up and grow over winter taking cuttings again in March for summer growing. Since they're getting fresh potting soil with fertilizer in it every few months,I don't find it necessary to fertilize. I just want them to stay alive and a manageable size over winter.

o

Hostaholic,

Can you root them in water like a Philodendron?

Helen.

o

You can, though I have heard and read that those roots are not as good. Sometimes I root them directly into moist potting soil, this year I tried rooting them in vermiculite. I had some that were not responding to rooting in water (they were rotting) so tried them in moist vermiculite. Every one rooted. I've just started potting them up for growing over winter. Those I potted yesterday from the vermiculite had very nice roots. I've done it all three ways though.

o

Is there a reason you take and root cuttings rather than simply overwintering the mature plant?

The reason I was hoping to keep the entire plant is because they are so big and lush right now. However, after a week or so in the house, they are dropping leaves like mad. I fear they will be "bald" in short order and my efforts will all have been in vain! LOL

Linda

o

I have about 15 different coleus, most of them in large pots and I simply don't have room for them all. Also, by taking cuttings I can check the cuttings over easily for pests before bringing them in. They will drop leaves when they come inside, but will usually send out new leaves again. Also expect them to lose some of their color. Mine will spend the winter under lights in my basement. I keep them pinched back until about late Jan. or early Feb. and then start taking cuttings in mid to late March. Also, younger plants are not as brittle as older ones.

o

Thanks hostaholic, good info for sure!

I brought four of them in and of those only one is really "shedding". The other three look pretty good, that fourth one is nearly leafless, so I will cut it back and see what happens.

If worse comes to worse, I can take plenty of cuttings, too!

Linda

o

Good luck with them and enjoy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here