Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
do I dare plant roses now?

Posted by mnzinnia MN (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 07 at 22:29

I have a couple of ramblin red roses that came bare root this spring and got "temporarily" stuck in a partly shady spot in my garden. They have grown some and had a few blooms. I have someone who can help me prep their intended permanent spot this week (south facing, aginst a wood fence). Should I do it? I also bought a RR in a container this week.

If I plant them now, what do you suggest for winter protection? My only MN rose experience was moving an Iceberg rose from my southern Iowa garden and sticking it in the ground Nov 5 when we took possession of our MN home. It lived and bloomed the next year but was in a fairly protected spot.

I'm hoping to get these to grow up some lattice to improve the looks of the fence. I plan to put Walkers Low Nepeta at their feet.

All suggestions are welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: do I dare plant roses now?

• Posted by jel48 Z3/4 Minnesota (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 11, 07 at 23:10

If they were mine, I'd leave them in the spot where they spent the summer and move them in the spring. But... I don't really have any knowledge about whether they should be moved now or not. Just my own inclination. They should be beautiful once they get established. I'm envious :-)

o

If they were in containers I would plant them, but as they are stable, even if it is not the best spot, I would leave them till spring. No sense in causing them undo stress, when you can move them in the spring. Ramblin Red is a hardy rose and they say you should not need to protect them, but if they were mine I would provide some protection once some frost has settled into the ground. Marsh hay, straw or leaves will protect them; which will be handy if we start the winter with lots of cold and little to or snow. After a summer in the right environment (more sun, in their new spot) you shouldn't have to be as cautious. I am not an expert, I do have about 20 hardy roses, it is more difficult in these odd winters where snow cover is not a given. Good Luck! Helen.

o

I think it's getting rather late and I would not plant it. I think what I would do instead, if the plant is potted I would dig in the entire pot and all. That way you are not disturbing the root system and sending the plant into shock especially when the temperatures are getting rather frigid. I would be sure to mulch it real well as the others suggested.

Good luck!!!
Tj

o

I think you all are right! Thanks for the input. I'll just focus on getting the bed ready for next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here