o
winterizing ponds up here in the north

Posted by mantorvillain z4bMN Dodge (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 3, 08 at 7:04

everything is cut back, lily pots sunk in deepest section, my
floating heater is anchored in position but not plugged in (gee what a
nice mild fall we've been having here), the bubbler is bubbling away
and the pond is 75% covered with plywood sheeting on firring strips so
it doesn't 'bow' and contact the water with a snow load.
Now the questions...when do you turn on the heater? the bubbler is on
one of the shelves so it hopefully won't move too much water from the
deeper(warmer?) areas once our real MN winter gets here....and creates
enouth turbulence I haven't found ice yet even with a low of 21
degrees. When do you turn on your heaters? When the pond starts to
ice over? Also, do you cover your pond (where size pemits)? I'm
thinking I don't want to cover completely as I then wouldn't know if
the bubbler/heater had failed and it was completely iced over?
thoughts?.....thanks,
Will

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winterizing ponds up here in the north

Will

I wish I had some advice for you, for winterizing your pond in respect to keeping it partially open. We shut the entire pond down, unhook the pump, biofilter, etc. We bring in our Koi for the winter and keep them in a 100 gal stock tank in the basement. John has a filter system, chiller to chill water to around 51 degrees (low temp keeps them less active), bubblers, etc. Since they are still somewhat active at 51 degrees, they get fed cherrios twice a week. This will be about the 6th winter they've wintered this way.

Hopefully someone else that has a pond and keeps it partially open will chime in and give some pointers.

Sandy

o

I let my little pond freeze up too- Same old fish go into the same old tank in the basement as well.
I did however find some articles listed at the MN Water Garden Society- They are a great group of folks and have a large membership! You might want to look into joining their group.
I did see a few discussions about winterizing over in the pond forum- maybe they could help answer this-

Julie

Here is a link that might be useful: MN Water Garden Society articles

o

Well, these are just a few comets, not koi so I won't be out too much should things not go well. It's interesting that I never even had a rim of ice on the pond and my rain barrel had a thick ice plug (only got up to 28 here on Sun). Life's an adventure and I'll definitely know 'more' come next fall.
Thanks for the feedback gang,
Will

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here