Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zenpotter

seed exchange??

zenpotter
16 years ago

Where is it going to be this year? I know it is early, but it will give me a gardening event to look forward to.

Comments (16)

• selkie_b
    16 years ago

I know it's near the start of January, and that someone volunteered for it - but I'm drawing a complete blank on who! I'm excited for this as well... hoping it doesn't conflict with anything else this year like it sometimes does!

-Marie

• lazyweeder
    16 years ago

Happyinthegarden is the one hosting the seed swap. She will be posting details soon.

• jel48
    16 years ago

It's funny, I was thinking of the same thing just yesterday and almost posted the same question! I guess it's kind of the 'ok now it's officially over for this year, what about next year' kind of feeling :-) I have a number of different hosta seeds this year, and some nice milkweed. Not a lot of variety otherwise, since I moved before a lot of the seeds were harvested, but I do have those!

• sandysgardens
    16 years ago

Yep Mary (happyinthegarden) is hosting the "Winter Blues Seed Swap" this January. In the past it's been either the 2nd or 3rd Saturday. Location wise, Mary lives in Apple Valley - south side of cities this year instead of north side of cities.

If memory serves me right, we've had some weather to deal with each time (snowing, icy, snowy/icy) so let's hope this year we break that tradition! Would be nice if the weather cooperates so more can make the jaunt.

Sandy

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I missed it last year because of the snow. It must be the year to have good weather.

• ich_bin_nathan
    16 years ago

Is there anyway I can get in on this if A. I actually dont have any seeds and B. live in Wisconsin?

any ideas?

And when do you normally hold your plant swap? Do you have a spring one?

• jel48
    16 years ago

Nathan, of course you can come to the swap. We'll all pretend we don't know you're really from Wisconsin. Just don't start any Packer talk :-) I went to my first Winter Blues Seed swap with no seeds. Bring something for the potluck instead. There are always lots of seeds. You'll be warmly welcomed, then next summer you'll be saving seeds, and next time you come you'll bring them along!

We usually have a spring plant swap and a fall plant swap. Some years we've even had an extra 'southern' Minnesota swap in addition to the normal ones, which are usually somewhere in the area of the twin cities.

That's one of the great things about this MN forum. Not only are we forum friends, in many cases we've become in person friends too!

• Julie
    16 years ago

Hey there Nathan-
    After the first MN WinterBlues Seeds swap that Cheri, Suzy, Dave and I came up with sittin' in a dark, empty parking lot after the last swap of the season a few years ago- I had decided to expand the fun by opening the swap up, by mail, to others who frequent this forum who might not want to try to drive on in.
    Once Mary decides on the date- which will get posted in the exchange part of the forum- then, either she or I will post another MNWBSS posting inviting others =who frequent this forum= (not the whole nation and beyond)- who can not come but still want to play- to the mail in version to send in seeds and a wish list of wants returned. I have always asked for volunteers to take an envelope (or 2)- offer the contents to folks present- and go hunting to fill it back up with new treasures from what is offered at the swap.
    We have had folks from near and far send in seeds and get new seeds mailed back to them- State borders have not stopped this mail in version from continuing- as we know there are many in surrounding states that frequent this forum, and who do not have a forum or an exchange part of their forum to do this.
    GW may not allow you and other out of Staters to sign up in our exchange part of our forum- that was the case in the past- but a quick e-mail sent to the poster will get you the information you will need to know to proceed in the mail in version.
    I would think that there will be many seeds "left-over", after the donating gardeners have had their fill, for us to dig through to find mail in "newbie packs" to send for folks such as yourself who participate often in our forum and in our social gatherings who do not have seeds to send in. Although, the strong part of this swap being so successful is that there are many generous donations of seeds brought and sent in by so many wonderful folks here. With out that generosity, we couldn't offer such a thing.
    Keep your eyes open for further information as it becomes available either on this side of the forum- or in the exchanges part.
    Happy gardening to you!

Julie

P.S. Lazyweeder will be hosting our spring swap this year- so the date is left up to him- although I would bet it would be in June sometime...

• buncobabe2u
    16 years ago

Sorry about dragging my feet about the date. My oldest son plays Hockey and were gone 4 to 5 days a week with his activities. I've checked his schedule for January and we will be in town so I think the best day for me would be Saturday, January 12. Any thoughts on the day??

I will post in the exchange after I talk with Julie and/or Dave.

Thanks,
    Mary

• Julie
    16 years ago

Hey there Mary!
    Looks good to me! But I would say that of any day you pick....

Julie

• selkie_b
    16 years ago

I can do the 12th!

-Marie

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have it written on my calendar, now I need to write in a day or two or three to get the seeds ready.

Nathan, there isn't any trouble with driving seeds across the boarder between MN and WI either :)

Please no bad weather.

Pauline

• jel48
    16 years ago

The 12th sounds fine to me! You'll most likely be the first date written on my 2008 calendar :-)

• ich_bin_nathan
    16 years ago

Oh good. I am glad I can still take place. I was sure I could (cause everyone on the forum is so helpful) but I just wanted to ask. I like the fact that I can get a "newbie" packet too. Because I don't have many seeds (except some wild rose seeds) at the moment...But what about switching other things like bulbs?-or is that for the plant swap?

• selkie_b
    16 years ago

nathan - anything that needs to be planted in early spring is a "go", also nice houseplant cuttings and the like. And specialty catalogs you don't need and want to pass on (appropriate ones of course! *LAUGH*) Our plant swap isn't until into June so...

-Marie

• buncobabe2u
    16 years ago

Check out the Exchanges page. I put the information about the swap over there.

Thanks,
    Mary

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County