Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoghaven_duluth

Winter gardening?

hoghaven_duluth
16 years ago

I don't think this is what they mean by "planting for winter interest. . ."

Yesterday I found some pea plant volunteers that had sprouted from some plants that that the deer had trashed. I have never had peas sprout near Thanksgiving in Minnesota! An entry in my mother's diary said that she had pansies blooming December 7th and she had gone barefoot outside (again Minnesota). This must have been in the 60's.

What's still blooming for you?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Comments (11)

• ginkgonut
    16 years ago

Roses, petunias, pansies, yarrow, geraniums, nicotiana

Some look a little sad, but they are still alive and blooming.

• ladylotus
    16 years ago

It is incredibly amazing that we have anything at all blooming in our gardens at the end of November. It's just unheard of here. You have piqued my curiosity it's dark now but I am going to run through my garden tomorrow morning to see if I have anything bloom also.

I am excited to report that I took 100+ various rose cuttings the first week in October and got them all planted up in big storage tubs on October 31st. To my great surprise I have almost every one of them growing and a few of them that sent little buds and will be blooming soon if I don't pinch the buds off. I love it...

Great post Hoghaven! Hopefully this year we will get a little snow. We have not had any reliable snowfall for so many years.

Happy Thanksgiving all!
    Tj

• heleninramsey
    16 years ago

Pansies, snapdragons, and a Rondo penstemon...oh and weeds :-0 Happy Thanksgiving to all, I am thankful for the wonderful garden season we had this year!

Helen.

• duluthinbloomz4
    16 years ago

I've got "Snow Crystals" alyssum, quite a few snapdragons and Johnny Jump-ups, one white petunia, and one last dianthus bloom.

I'm really hoping for adequate snow cover this winter. But, all in all, this was a pretty satisfying gardening season despite the drought. I don't do a lot of supplemental watering and things did quite well.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

• mnwsgal
    16 years ago

Snapdragons, pansies, viola, knautia, monkshood, calendula, and one delphinium which had no blooms earlier this year.

• zenpotter
    16 years ago

This morning I can see, Snap Dragons, Petunias, Fringed Bleeding Heart, Mums, Johnny Jump-ups and Native Violets.

• ladylotus
    16 years ago

I went out this morning to check my gardens and sadly I report I have not one thing in bloom. The evening temperatures have been in the low teens.

• jel48
    16 years ago

Roses and Mums here. Maybe a couple of other things. The roses are what amaze me!

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

I have blooms on a phlox, a delphinium, and some mums, but they are pretty much freeze dried blooms.

• primgal36
    16 years ago

We did have an unusual year. My stuff is done. The blooms are all spent. It looks real sad, the asters and mums are finito. I went out and covered the mums, and the "Heaven's Gate Coreopsis", finished up the clean-up, and put garden accents away for the season. It's kinda sad, but then we have time to plan some for the next season. I'm anxious to see the stuff I planted this year, what it will be like in the next season. I planted alot of new things, so I'm looking foward to seeing all of it.
    Have a Merry Christmas.

• hoghaven_duluthmn
    16 years ago

Here's an article that was in the Duluth-Superior News Tribune this weekend. Sorry, I couldn't find a picture link. BTW, Finland, MN is way up north between Duluth and Grand Marais.

"Marsh marigolds in November?

Evelyn DeShaw of Finland e-mailed to say she saw marsh marigolds blooming in a drainage ditch Nov. 17 near Finland.

"They were still blooming yesterday [Nov. 18]," she said on the phone on Monday.

DeShaw sent along a photo to document her sighting.

Marsh marigolds typically bloom in late May or early June in the Finland area, DeShaw said. She canÂt figure out why these chose to bloom again in November. Some work was done on the road in that area, she said, and she suspected perhaps the road work opened a spring that provides warmer water to the drainage ditch.

"Or maybe it has to do with the rain situation," she said. "Everything was so dry [during the summer], and everything went into dormancy."

Not necessarily, said Welby Smith, a botanist with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources in St. Paul.

"It does happen," he said. "There are a number of early spring flowering plants  violets and occasionally marsh marigolds  which will occasionally flower in autumn as well as in spring. Usually itÂs just one or two aberrant individuals. IÂm not sure anyone knows exactly why."

Smith said the DNR gets calls once every couple of years about the phenomenon."

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living