Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elleni_gw

First snow and bulbs left to plant!

elleni
13 years ago

Anyone else still have bulbs left to plant with this storm over the Cities? I've got about 400, mostly minor, bulbs left. I did get out last night and cover a couple of areas to make removing the snow easier on Sunday when I try to get out there.

I was hoping the heaviest part of the storm would miss us so I would also have time to cut back some of those perennials.

Comments (4)

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

The last of the daffodils I got on clearance were planted yesterday. Snowfall here in Maple Grove was heavy (both in amount and weight) and expect more tonight and tomorrow.

Good luck getting your bulbs planted. Being minor bulbs they shouldn't need to be planted so deep which will help.

• elleni
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I made it out for an hour around 3:30 just as the snow let up in Minneapolis. The ground is perfect, easy digging! I planted around 30 Tete Daffodils and 80 Flower Record Crocus in between my creeping Thyme. I still have a bunch left, but Sven on channel 11 says most of it will melt by Monday. I'll try to get out there tomorrow for an hour or so to make another dent in the bulb pile. I should be OK as long as I do *not* order any more bulbs!

Oh, and that last poor hardy mum got planted as well. It is amazing how the pressure of coming Winter can make it much easier to find the perfect spot you've been searching for all Summer.

• elleni
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just back from another hour! Planted four swaths of squil/Chionodoxa and mixed species tulips, two alternating areas of each about 2.5 feet long, in front of my barberry shrubs. I only got smacked in the face once with barbs.

I piled snow on the area to let mother nature water them in with tomorrow's sun.

I have remaining:

20 Hyacinth blue perl-- have possible location for at least half,
    50 Muscari comosum plumosum-- no idea where to put them,
    20 Crocus vernus flower record-- location id-ed,
    50 generic mixed tall tulips-- possible location,
    25-30 blue squil and 40 squil/Chionodoxa/mixed crocus-- location id-ed for about 75%.

So, if I take another couple of afternoons off work, I should be able to get it done before the ground freezes.

• elleni
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I pretty much finished. I've got some yellow crocuses, around 25 of those Muscari and 5 hyacinths not in the ground. I think they will all join the 5 other hyainths, ~15 tulips, 10 dwarf iris Reticula in the forcing (slash sale cookie) fridge.

Now all I have to do is keep myself from buying this deal. The mini fridge is *not* that big!!!

"Holland Bulb Farms in Wisconsin is closing out the season with an "All Spring Blooming Variety Pack" of 250+ bulbs for $39 with free shipping. Use the Coupon Code "50FBlikes" at checkout to "save" $190.63 and get free shipping."

Here is a link that might be useful: All Spring Blooming Variety Pack 250 for $39

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus