Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hedging out deer

Posted by iowagirl2 none (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 12:13

Ok,people have been very helpful to me so far, I hope there is someone out there who has had trouble with "urban" deer who snort at you when you try to chase the away from your garden. They have lost all fear of humanity and are in my garden every evening.

Fortunately, I do not have much planted, yet. I want to keep the deer out of the garden completely, but cannot afford to fence my 1/2 acre. So I am looking at hedging options. I have planned to used clipped barberry in front of 10 ft tall arborvitae--the barbs should keep the deer from eating their way through, the arborvitae from jumping.

This fills a lot of space, however, that I would rather fill with ornamental planting. I was wondering if I could just plant an ornamental shrubbery at the back of the property and trust a 10 ft wide tall shrub border to keep them out.

Has anyone else attempted to hedge out deer? WHat works for you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hedging out deer

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 15:18

Get a sling-shot and give them a pain in the buttocks.

o

LOL, that's what my husband says. He actually bought a bb pistol and nailed one of the deer in the but, it did not break skin, but it did cause some surprise!

But has anyone tried to use plants to keep deer from their property?

o

The only thing I have discovered is a large dog or a tall electric fence or there is a Deer and Rabbit spray that works. You need to spray every week or so especially if you have rain. A deer rifle works well but it is slightly illegal!

o

I don't think the hedge idea will work at all. They will be pushing channels through the hedge as it grows and they will keep these channels open. There are thickets in Florida and Texas that are huge. Thickets that are so dense a human couldn't penetrate even a couple of feet into them. Yet, deer and wild hogs have trails going through them all. I'm talking thickets that are more than 100 ft wide as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here