Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
etehiver

Twin Cities pine bark mulch sources (fines/soil conditioner)

etehiver
14 years ago

Hi all,

I'm planning ahead for next year and I've read about using shreaded/chopped up pine park (small pieces). In years past, we've used mulch made from shredded wooden shipping pallets dyed brown.

The look of the shredded wood is ok, but I really don't like the sharp edges under bare feet when it blows out into the lawn. The kids hate walking anywhere near that stuff.

I've heard something called "pine bark mulch" or "pine park fines" or "pine bark soil conditioner". It might be better for us. It would also have the added benefit of breaking down faster and adding organic matter to our clay soil.

I think this it what they use at the Como Ordway Japanese Garden in St. Paul's Como Park- see photo below. I like it because it looks very natural.

Have any of you (northern) Twin Cities gardeners know where I can find this in bulk? I've seen bags at Linders for $5 each, but that would be a lot of bags to redo our mulch next year.

Pine bark mulch? photo

Here is a link that might be useful: Pine bark mulch? photo

Comments (6)

• garystpaul
    14 years ago

Dear summer-winter, i've been using bags of 'fir bark fines' or 'nuggets' that I get at Home Depot for right around 3 bucks a bag (sometimes over, sometimes under). i run it through my shredder and use it as a main ingredient in house and greenhouse plant mixes, but it would look good as a regular mulch as well (dark reddish brown). Gary

• mantorvillain
    14 years ago

I did the same as Gary, i.e. purchasing bags of the smallest (also cheaper) bark nuggets I could find and running them through my shredder (sometimes twice). My local nurseryman ordered a couple of the larger bags of perlite for me when ordering his own.
    I guess you could also put the bark through one of those auger type meat grinders if you don't have a shredder but that's a lot of cranking per bag of nuggets...and would surely mean a sore arm for me - LOL
    Will

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

I've been using bags of finely shredded pine bark mulch from Lowes. It looks like that in your photos. Costs: $3.73/bag.
    I used it as a mulch in potted plants as well as in garden beds.

• lily313
    14 years ago

When planting some new beds in the fall, Venero Gardens recommended double processed pine bark mulch from Pine Products in Waconia. They said it actually enriches the soil, and keeps a nice dark color. It looks great, and I'm going to switch over to it completely. I can't remember how much per bag, but it's probably a little more than the prices above because it's double processed so the size of pieces is more consistent.

• salpal
    12 years ago

Gary and mantorvillain, I realize this is an old post, but my question is- when you say you run it through your shredder once or twice, what kind of shredder is that? Is it a leaf or wood shredder? How powerful does the machine need to be to run pine nuggets through it to make fines? I appreciate your response. (I have had poor luck the last 2 yrs finding fines locally)Thanks!

• garystpaul
    12 years ago

Salpal, I have quite a powerful shredder, a MacKissic Mighty Mac with three different screen sizes. I just slowly dump the bags into the hopper, using the medium or fine screen; either works well. I usually pull the shredder onto a tarp, makes for easier pick-up. But my guess is just about any shredder would work as long as you add the bark nuggets (or whatever shape they're in) slowly, especially if they're moist at all. Good luck. Gary

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022