Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Got my seedling/sewing/craft/store room partway set up

jel48
16 years ago

I finally went to work on this room last night, got all the stuff to be stored put away in closets, got my colorful little 'kindergarden' storage rack set up, played around with positioning for the seedling starter shelves... then today, I thought about the $2.99 (yes 2.99) tables that I picked up on clearance at Home Depot. So, I hauled one of those in from the garage, added a couple of TV trays and folding chairs, and I'm well on my way with having my room set up. I need to add the flourescent shop lights (that serve me as grow lights), a fan (for circulations), and then bring in some plant trays from the garage and I'll be all set. I'm pretty pleased with the results so far.

I know it doesn't look much like a storeroom, but the closet is large and mostly filled. I love all the storage space in this house. There is a closet under the stairway where I've got my seasonal decorations and vacuum, a closet in the family room where I've got all the boxes for my collectibles (hummingbird and horse statues), a closet in the office (office stuff), a closet in the hallway (coats), a closet in the kitchen (cleaning supplies), a closet in the guest room (sheets, blankets), and two closets in my bedroom (one for clothes and one for out of season clothes). The size of this place is really overkill for one person, but I do love it!

Comments (6)

• jel48
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bumping down

• ladylotus
    16 years ago

This looks like it would be a great set up for seedlings. Does the room face south or do you have to supply quite a bit of light? This year I am going to try growing quite a few annuals from seed. I have been filling in my gardens with perennials and have not been able to afford annuals. So it will be fun to play with them this summer. ;)

• jel48
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Ladylotus. No, the windows are on the east and north. There will be florescent shop lights hanging from the ceiling above the top shelf, and under each shelf except the bottom. I'll have to see how much they effect the electricity bill, but when I've raised seedlings before (except for winter seeding, of course) I've kept the lights on them 24x7. I also keep a fan blowing in the room to help prevent damping off.

The seedlings are a lot of fun, even though they are a fair amount of work when grown indoors, because of all the watering they take once they are growing. You can't let them sit in water, but still they dry out pretty fast so watering is a 'check at least twice a day' and water almost every day sort of thing. Watching them grow is pretty gratifying though, and I love the earthy smell of the seed starting mix and growing plants. It's a good way to help get you through the winter :-)

• mnwsgal
    16 years ago

As I look around my cluttered office/seed room I appreciate your new clear space. What fun you will have getting all your seedlings growing.

Before wintersowing I started everything inside. Now I am down to just a few, peppers/tomatoes/some salvias. Lights are left on for 14-16 hours/day. Somewhere I read that plants need some darkness to grow. Anyway, 14 hours works well.

Bobbie

• ladylotus
    16 years ago

Jel,

Every year I say I am not going to start any seeds indoor this year and every year come February I get that gardening itch and I start various seeds. I hear you when you explain the amount of work trying to keep them moist, not too wet as to let them rot or damp off.

This year I am going to start my seeds for the first time in my greenhouse. I can't wait. Hopefully, it will be completed by then.

By the way, I don't think it would be a big expense for your lights. I think it is such a relief to be able to play in the soil during mid winter that the expense would be worth it. ;)

Tj

• sandysgardens
    16 years ago

Joyce -
    Nice setup. I have had my grow area setup for a few years now in the basement storage room and love it. The lights go on and off automatically and are on for about 16 hours. The small desk/table top fan circulates air pretty much most of the time. I sometimes turn it off when I'm working in the grow area. The light fixtures are 4 ft / two lamp shop lights (14 fixtures). One lamp is cool white the other warm in each fixture.

It's so nice to be able to garden at some capacity year round!

Sandy

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus