Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boojagirl

How do I start?

boojagirl
17 years ago

I live in central Minnesota, I tried gardening over the summer but it did'nt work to well, this time I want to make sure I have everything ready, next year I would like to have half the garden for flowers and half the garden for vegetables, I have string beans, broccoli and peas, is there anything I should be doing now in the fall to prepare the garden for next spring?

Comments (3)

• leftwood
    17 years ago

A very good question!! Because I like to get it all ready to plant in spring so I don't have to wait until soil is dry enough to till or hoe up. If your soil is dry enough now to still work with without destroying soil structure, you could still mix in compost. I think most of us had done that last month, or last spring. If your soil is clotty, better to just leave it alone until warmer weather next year. Otherwise, you will be destroying soil structure.

I am assuming you have already cleaned up all the vegetable refuse for this season. If not, certainly do that. For flowers, there are pros and cons for fall clean up vs spring clean up. Personally, I do a little of both.

• Julie
    17 years ago

I agree with Rick- understanding what type of soil you are planning to garden in is the best way to start- and all soils benefit grom organic matter added to them! Compost and composted manure are best for any soil. If your soil is too wet to dig in now (stays in a packed ball when you sqeeze it in your fist)- you can lay these things on top of the soil now- and let the worms do a little of the work for you till the ground freezes-

Then drainage is the key- most of the things you are hoping to try next year do not like to stay wet all the time. If your garden is in a low area- you may want to consider "raised beds".

OH- and sun! be sure you are giving your plants the amount of sun they need to thrive-

I would get the area you are hoping to plant the peas and broccoli all ready this fall as they are both cool season crops and should be started early. The beans like it hot- so wait till soil temps raise to plant the beans.

You will need support for your peas- I like to use branch trimmings stuck into the ground- and trellis support for your beans if they are pole beans. I use longer branches tied together at the top to form a teepee- or two of those on each end with a top piece connecting them and strings hanging down from the top piece for the vines to climb up.

You may want to look into wintersowing some of your flower selections- check out the wintersowing forum- or maybe you would want to try starting some under lights indoors- check out the growing under lights and/or the seed starting forum.

You could make a compost pile and start making some of your own 'Garden Gold" from some kitchen refuse and yard waste- Check out the Compost Forum-

That is alot of suggested reading- but hey- it's almost winter! It is a good time to read and learn!

Julie

• cheri_mn_524
    17 years ago

What kind of problems did you have?
    i think 99% of vegis nedd full to art sun.
    certain flowers need sun and certian flowers need shade..
    If you have soil that is full of clay, you need peat moss..
    If your soil is sandy you need peat moss..
    if your gound is still workable you could mix it in now. if not wait for the ground to be workable in the sping.. If you have a large garden , I dig a whole ,fill it with peat moss and a little fertalizer, mix it in and plant my plant...Water
    Get some fertalize like 10-10-10, its safe.
    remember to water water water.. most flowers need more water but some flowers need less.. you just have to find out which is which..
    Maybe I am giving to simple of directions, but sometimes the basics are what you need for beginners...
    If you don't have any perennials in your garden, you could put black plastic down now, to kill the weeds, keep it there as long as you can. you could even fold it over and work your garden in sections...
    You also have to lok for bugs... some are good bugs but some are terrible..you have to figure out if your going organic(no chemicals) or not..
    Organic start collecting egg shells , old food, plus..It makes a good compost... I just go to the compost site in andover, It cost $6.00 a yard... I have a very large carden I would have to collect all the neighbors garbage too make compost .....
    You can get peat moss at any garden center, wallmert, ect...
    Good luck if you have anymore quetions just let us know... But it would be good to know how your plants where reacting.
    Getting brown or yellow,,,small plants, not blooming or no vegis...did they look eaten?

Sponsored