Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdwing_gw

Snow tonight?! My roses aren't covered yet..

birdwing
18 years ago

Is that ok since this probably won't stick? I have hybrid teas..and others ..

Comments (7)

• jenswrens
    18 years ago

They'll probably be fine. I don't have any HTs, but I haven't winterized any of mine yet either. This afternoon I did go out and throw some mulch around their bases, but didn't cover them or anything. Mine still have all their leaves and some (Lovely Fairy) still have blooms!

• doucanoe
    18 years ago

My Betty Boop was still blooming Sunday, but the buds were frozen so I cut them all back. What a shame, too, there were at least nine buds! Have to get it mulched and covered this week!

Linda

• jenswrens
    18 years ago

So, what does everyone typically do to cover your roses? Do you use burlap, leaves, cones, tipping or what? Last year I used those styrofoam cones and they did fine, but I'm wondering if there's a better and less obnoxious-looking method. :-)

• birdwing
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I usually just do leaves and sometimes they don't make it but it just depends on what kind of snowcover there is. Last year I think there was late snow ans so some of my leaves blew off.

I have angel face, voluptuous and cherry parfait blooming right now..yup gotta cut em back and get em covered...

• selkie_b
    18 years ago

If you have any Hybrid Teas they need extra protection. You can either "Minnesota Tip" them if you have room or do what I do and make a cage of chicken wire to go around each rose, steak it into the ground, pour compost over it up past the graft and then fill the cage with packed in leaves. For my hardy roses I just pile on the leaves and keep doing so if they blow off until they are frozen in place.

• Carola_MN
    18 years ago

This is my reponse to a post in the Roses Forum. I would have linked it directly but couldn't figure out how to do that. The post was about using plastic litter containers as protection.

I too have many of those plastic litter totes and don't use them for the winter since any plastic touching the canes would harm or freeze them even more. Sometimes I use those to cover spring bulbs if a severe freeze comes our way but I make sure the leaves don't touch them. You could try tying the canes with twine first, but I still don't think an empty plastic container would offer enough insulation without any leaves or something around them.

This is my second winter trying to protect my roses. Last year I only had a handful to protect and they came through pretty well. However, this year I have 25+ to get through. I am trying 3 different methods.

1. Biodegradeable cones stuffed with shredded leaves. There are 4 ventilation holes in them so I cut a slit through 2 of them and lifted half of the top without breaking it off and then stuffed it and put a rock on it. This was used for HT's that I felt could be pruned down enough.

2. Used cheap edge fencing that is about 15" high and comes in a roll and made a cage with it. It has pronges on it so it sticks into the dirt nice and easy (hopefully they don't heave). Then I lined it with straw and filled with soil. This was used for roses I didn't want to prune, like some Austin's, Romantica's, and OGR's.

3. A tree removal service was in my area and I asked him if he would dump a pile of those wood chips in my yard and mounded with that. There was alot of soil mixed in with it since it was from a stump but I think that will just make it better. Harder to move it around though. This was used for most of the hardier types but not cane hardy.

It took several afternoons to do all of this and I hope all goes well, but possible canker is always the risk. I will report the results in the spring. Most of these roses are first year so they really need to be protected. Maybe next year I won't have to work as hard.

Don't throw those litter totes away they come in very handy with gardening, especially if you don't have a wheel burrow, or if you want to store some soil or mulch for the next winter. They stack up real nice.

• selkie_b
    18 years ago

I have NEVER had issues with canker from using the compost and leaves in the cage :) they get enough ventilation but good insulation. I've done it for years now with excellent results.

-Marie

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living