Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elleni_gw

Bulbs for Fall Planted Outside Container?

elleni
15 years ago

Now that I have finally finished planting all of my fall bulbs I want to plant some more! Unfortunately, I don't have any space left in the garden. But I have a big container, about 12-14 inches deep, that I'd like to put some tulips or something in. I'd have to leave the container outside all Winter. Are there any bulbs I can plant now that will make it through the Winter above ground in Minneapolis?

Thanks.

Comments (7)

• Nettie
    15 years ago

I think you would risk getting mush- it would freeze too hard above ground- it's not the depth so much as it also freezes from the sides inward. Could you put some in pots in an unheated garage for 12 weeks and then bring inside and force them? I've done that before with success.

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

I have been told that bulbs will not survive planted in above containers here in MN. I know that Bachmans uses forced bulbs in their spring outdoor containers.

I have had success planting tulips, daffodils and frittalaria in an 18"-20" d container that I keep in my unheated garage. Crocus did not survive. Have planted a couple of smaller containers of tulips that I am going to experiment with keeping in the garage this winter.

Other years I have planted in those containers and sunk them in the garden beds. With a good amount of mulch those can be dug up early and brought into the garage to flower early.

• elleni
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's what I do not understand. I am in zone 4 and most tulips will survive zone 3. How different is freezing above ground from zone 3. Actually, I have since thought I could use our raised bed for veggies. It is 2'x4'x22" high. What do you think about that? Another thread I saw said the issue is more moisture and drainage (snow thawing/rain and sitting around the bulbs) than cold.

• elleni
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How different is freezing above ground from zone 3

That should be, how different is freezing above ground in zone 4 from freezing in the ground in zone 3?

Also, the raised bed is for growing veggies in the Summer. I'd put Spring bulbs in and take them out when it is time to plant veggies.

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

I have a raised bed in the veg garden that is planted with 30 large yellow tulips. The tulips stay in the beds and I plant seedlings/seeds amongst the foliage which is removed when it dies back. This summer I planted tomatoes in the bed. The tulips have bloomed three years around May 1st. They make great bouquets to share with the neighbors for May Day baskets.

This bed is 24" x 24" X 12". Large bags of leaves are laid across it to help protect the tulips for the winter.

• Nettie
    15 years ago

The bottom line is there really are no hard and fast rules to a Minnesota winter- many of us are zone pushers just out of obstinance. It may work three years in a row and then fail for no logical reason that we can see.

• elleni
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi nettiesgarden.

The bulbs I ordered are being delivered today. I am hoping they will not freeze in the UPS truck or on the (enclosed) porch!

I may have missed my window for this year's raised bed experiment... I was out yesterday and tried to pull out the remnants of a kale plant from the raised bed and it was stuck fast! I laid some black plastic bags over the surface in hopes it is just frost in the first inch or so that can melt with the sun.

Last weekend the ground was fine. How quickly things change!

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA