joeknowsjolokia

hey Minnesota gardeners!!!!

joeknowsjolokia
15 years ago

Do any of you grow hydroponics?

Comments (12)

• leftwood
    15 years ago

I once worked at a greenhouse that grew leaf lettuce hydroponically. What do you grow hydroponically?

• zenpotter
    15 years ago

No,the only thing I know about hydroponics is that I don't like tomatoes grown that way.

• Julie
    15 years ago

Do cuttings count ;*)

• joeknowsjolokia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I'm going to try hot peppers this way. I will let you all know how they turn out! I've got about 12 seedlings started!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Julie
    15 years ago

OH Green!! Sprouts!! Nice image that!
    OK- so I am really curious after seeing the picture. That looks to me to be some very fine pepper seedlings in something like jiffy pots on a tray.... That kind of looks like how I start my seeds indoors.
    Would that be how they will live their life cycle to fruit bearing stage indoors under lights in "fortified" water?
    I have been to the brewing and hydroponics store in St Louis Park, and have drooled over and around many of their displays. From what I have seen there- and greenhouse tours, and what I understand I am seeing in your photo- I realize I must not be understanding something. (Nothing new there....)
    Joe- could you explain how your hydroponics system works? It might be something more of us could try here in frigid MN during the winter.
    Thanks-

Julie

• joeknowsjolokia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, where do I start. My hydro system was designed out of a book. In side the container is four sprayers that spray the net pots, full of gravel. When the roots grow, they will grow all the way to the bottom. The sprayers transfer the nutes and air to the roots. This is called aeroponics. It is widely used for growing leaf lettuce, I'm just trying it for hot peppers. There are a ton of different kinds of set-ups, but this looked like the cheapest way to start. Including the pump, I think I have sixty dollars into that part! The lighting can get expensive, but thanx to Craig's list, I found a 400 watt metal halide for $150 dollars. LED lights seems to be the new go go gadget:)
    I start them in the peat pucks and the wash them clean before carefully putting them into the lava rock. They have excepted all I've done so far. In three days, I swear they have doubled in size! I will post a pic of the inside. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask! I've been doing alot of research and those pepper freaks love to share!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• joeknowsjolokia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I started another six varities for growing outdoors. These should be real heathy come planting time! Aren't jiffy poys awsome!

• Julie
    15 years ago

Nice set up there Joe!!
    WHEW! that light is BRIGHT! Do the neighbors wonder what you are up to?? Mine all know why the basement glows in the winter...
    Say-- I use a mylar "space" blanket- you know- the big silver sheet- to bounce the light back on the plants instead of all over the basement- but I am using cool flourescents too- Might that mylar sheet be something you could use? Although- you seem to be getting pretty high lumens there-
    So- peppers are a passion huh? What is your favorite to look at? I really like Black Pearl- I grow it in the flower beds right up front! Your favorite sweet? Your favorite hot? I like the Fish Pepper- it grows well all by itself and puts out great peppers without any care from me- And- lastly- do all of "Peter" peppers grow that way? LOL

• joeknowsjolokia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've always been a fan of the habeneros! But this year, I'm trying to expand! Peter peppers.... I don't know, This is a first! I had never heard of them before. I'm also growing chinese multi color. Those should be pretty. Where do I get one of those blankets? I haven't seen them in years? Can never have enough light... Right?

• Julie
    15 years ago

Target has the "space" blankets in the camping isle- They are not very warm- but they sure can toss the light around!!

• vic01
    15 years ago

Yes peter peppers grow like they should be anataomically correct in some cases, some are more smooth and not much to them. The flavor is probably not going to be a favorite compared to others, they are ok but just not great. A coat of white paint is better than the space blankets and lasts longer too. Have read up on hydroponics, went to the store and drooled but we are a long way from being knowledgeable enough to grow that way. Dirt is so much simpler, start the seeds and plant them outside whenever it gets warm enough...old fashioned but it works great. I have never tasted the hydroponic produce but the balance of nutrients has to be just so and way too much fussing for me. I like getting my hands dirty. LOL

Sponsored