Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_mn

Hey there Adam- and other WS Newbies needing seeds...

Julie
16 years ago

Head on over to the Winter Sowing forum-

Bakemom is putting the call out for folks wanting seeds- with her Newbie Seed Project! Check out the post titled "2064/96 No it's not my blood pressure....." Well, you will find her asking "Need seeds?" in many other posts there as well... She is doing her best to get the word and seeds out!

While there- check out the wseo site @ http://wintersown.org/, for more info, and more seeds!

This is the second best way to garden in winter in MN! The first being the Winter Blues Seed Swap, of course!

If you have not tried this way to germinate seeds, you are in for a whole new world of gardening pleasures!

Go on! Whacha watin' for?

Here is a link that might be useful: 2064/96 No it's not my blood pressure.....

Comments (17)

• heleninramsey
    16 years ago

Julie...

Where do you do your winter sowing? I can't even conceptualize where I could start seeds...do you do grow lights, have a greenhouse, or just really good window space?

Wondering 'where' to start?

Helen.

• jel48
    16 years ago

Hi Helen, I'm not Julie, but in case she doesn't check in right away, go to the link below to learn about Winter Sowing. I'd start with the FAQ on that page. You don't need anything special at all, other then containers, seeds, and someplace outdoors to set them. It's fun :-) as well as productive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing Forum Link

• adamterrie
    16 years ago

Hey Julie,

Thanks for the heads up (I believe I am the only "Adam" here) regarding the seeds. I need to get involved in some gardening stuff to pull me from my winter blues - the success of the Vikings in recent weeks has also helped (the winter blues).

I am learning the negative side to becoming more involved with gardening - seasonal affective disorder ("SAD") in the winter. It really has affected me this winter. The various seed exchanges would likely help. What I don't want to find myself doing is - wishing the winter months away. Because doing so, I would essentially be wishing half my life away (since winter in MN is approximately one-half the year).

I suppose I could take the dramatic step and start helping my wife with household chores to pass the time. However, I don't think I am quite ready to take such drastic measures at this point.

- Adam

• jel48
    16 years ago

lol! Poor Adam :-)

• heleninramsey
    16 years ago

Thanks and...
    Ohh ohhhh...I feel a new obsession coming on :-0
    Helen

• sandysgardens
    16 years ago

Helen - Watch out, winter sowing is addicting. This will be my 4th winter to wintersow. I do mostly perennials since I find annuals need a better head start so they get started indoors under lights. Here's a pic of some of the wintersown jugs a few years ago in Spring ready to start being planted out.

Sow seeds, set out during winter, come spring need to monitor for moisture, then plant out! Great way to get hundreds of seedlings.

• sandysgardens
    16 years ago

Hmmmmm..... My pic doesn't show. It was there when I did a preview but after submitting it went poof. Will try again later to post pic of winter sowing setup.

• Julie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh- My Gosh!!
    Wintersowing is the best way to confront SADS!! Every day you can- or want to- you start just a few more containers, more hope in your life, and challenge winter to best ma nature and the seeds own desire to grow- even through all the hardships of winter. It really is good therapy!
    And yes- it is very addicting!
    this is what they start to look like come spring-

They get set into the snow all around the edges of the yard all through the winter- And come spring- they sprout just like they are supposed to! No lights- no bugs- rarely ever anything like damp off! It's sow easy! And sow very rewarding!!
    Come on- give it a try!

• jel48
    16 years ago

That Skippy Peanut Butter jar made me smile :-) You really CAN winter sow in any kind of container. Most of mine end up being gallon milk jugs. I cut all the way around except for right at the handle, about a third the way down from the top. Put the stuff in, then use a piece of that wide tape you use to mail packages or duct tape on the opposite side from the handle, to hold the top on until it's time to open up! I used a lot of other stuff too, but I envy all those ice cream buckets, Julie! We used to get lots of those when the kids were growing up, but I just don't have any anymore.

• rosebacopa2
    16 years ago

Hi all,

Check out this winter sowing class being put on by
    the Hort..
    http://www.northerngardening.com/Hort_Society_Classes.htm

Lynn

• sandysgardens
    16 years ago

Great Pic Julie - I do love how any container can be used.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

Sounds like fun, but it also sounds like the development of another addiction....maybe if I start really small..??

• jel48
    16 years ago

Sure, you can start small..... one container......

just like with hostas :o)

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

Maybe, I just shouldn't start! You know what happens with one hosta or one lily bulb.

• zenpotter
    16 years ago

That also means less grass to mow and makes mother nature happy.

• Julie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh- you do not know what you are missing if you don't try this at least once....
    Hosta just LOVE being wintersown! And it is so much fun to watch those little wee ones grow and grow!
    You know all those clematis that can be fussy to start? Well, just stick them out early- in the fall- let them freeze and thaw with the frosts- and poof! You have little baby Clemmies come spring! Well- usually...
    Tender annuals and tomatoes(!) can be spring sown- after the worst of the winter is over. Sandy is right though- they do not come up like the ones in the stores- they do come up a bit late- BUT- they will have the best root structure you have ever seen (truly!!) and will catch up in no time to the store bought green house started weaker rooted- transplanted and shipped and stored, stressed and shocked cousins.....
    Any perennial hardy to our zone is a shoe in for wintersowing! Most hardy annuals or anything that will reseed in a garden can be wintersown. Trees, shubs, they all do well this way!
    You do not have to water (well, till they really take off in the spring)- give up house space or pay the electric bill for these plants. You do not have to stress about damp off- those pesky little black flies- none of the usual seed starting worries. You don't need to buy special sterile seed starting mixes- You can start a boat load (literally! There are those that use their boats to hide their containers in) of seeds- and still go on vacation to the warmer regions in winter- and you won't have to find a plant sitter. All will be fine when you return!
    You will however start looking at "trash" in a whole new light! Can that be used to winter sow in? Can I just grab that container without any one noticing? You will start asking the friends and family to "save" this or that container for you....
    They will look at you kinda funny- especially when they see you have poked holes into the bottom for drainage....
    And when they come over to visit- They will be wondering about all of those containers sitting out in the snow... Yeah, you can try to hide them- but they will be pointed out just in case they might have overlooked them...
    The guys at the Home Depot will be muttering about the crazy person that has to have frozen big bags of miracle grow brought in to be paid for, and hauled out to the car because you had no idea last fall when the bags were light and dry, just how many containers of seeds you wanted to try this with...
    It is hard to get those bags into the house - and then to wait for them to thaw for a couple of days before you can use it is harder yet...
    But- all will be revealed to friends and family- and well, to the neighbors too- when all of those containers start producing more plants than you know what to do with! You will be bringing them flats full of plants! They will be gardening and expanding their beds right along with you...
    Yep- the fun and rewards never end with this "winter" hobby.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

Ok Julie, I did collect some hosta seed last fall. Guess I'll head over to the winter sowing forum and see what I need to gather together. I can just heat the guys at Menards now. You really got me at not having to babysit them part.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor