Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

So, is it gonna be the big one?

jel48
16 years ago

So far, it's a pretty snow. I scooped off my deck, the landing area between the deck and the garage and about 25 feet in front of the garage. The snow so far, is about at 4 inches and is extremely light. I don't have a snow blower (and I do have a long driveway) but I bought one of those super light snow shovels and it sure worked great. I tossed a lot of that snow on top of potted perennials that I didn't get in the ground this fall. They are right up against the side of the garage and I figure I'll just keep throwing snow on them in the hopes of keeping them well protected.

I also cleared and filled all the bird feeders and tucked one large flat feeder under the deck where it won't get so much snow. Hopefully that will keep the juncos happy!

It really doesn't seem that cold out, for the most part. My weatherbug says its 12 degrees but the only parts that got cold were my hands and feet. I thawed the hands out a couple times while doing the bird feeders, in front of a little portable heater I'd picked up for the garage. I figure it paid for itself just in that one use.

How's the weather at your house? Are you braving the elements this weekend or staying in, snug and warm? I do plan to do that too... brought in a nice batch of firewood for the downstairs fireplace and I figure most of the weekend will be finishing Christmas decorating, maybe a litle painting, baking, and sitting in front of the fireplace :-)

Comments (4)

• duluthinbloomz4
    16 years ago

This just might be the big one - so far! Coming down a mile a minute up here; what's left standing in the gardens is fast disappearing. And if we're lucky enough to have all this stay on the ground for the season, the gardens will be well insulated.

I have a crew that automatically comes to do the snow blowing and shoveling when it stops so I get to sit tight. Did errands yesterday; got all my paint and supplies to finally redo the den - but there's a little prep work before jumping into that. This might be the perfect opportunity to get the tree up or dig out the never fail cookie recipes.

• giantslug
    16 years ago

The forecast said 8-10 inches of snow, so far only 3 inches and the snow stopped an hour ago! I hope more comes.

• jel48
    Original Author
    16 years ago

There's about 5 inches here now, with a good layer of sleet on top. I went out about half an hour ago thinking I'd run to Walmart before it got worse. As soon as I had backed out of the garage I decided it already was worse, so I drove right back in!

• heleninramsey
    16 years ago

I drove from home to my sisters in south central MN this morning, there is only 3 or so inches here but I hear from my husband that we have about 6 or more at home, if the wind doesn't blow too much, I will find out tomorrow. Six inches of snow would sure make a nice blanket on the garden...and you know, my garden hose is out, sprinkler attached, at the side of my front yard and I wish I had filled the feeders before the snow flew...Helen.