Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vendors for Garlic for fall 2013?

Posted by mnclerk none (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 12:32

So, as I'm sure some of you are aware, a lot of local garlic crops were wiped out by the aster yellows disease. I've been trying to grow some garlic myself, and I wasn't aware of this issue, but now that I am, I have questions for anyone who might know the answers:

1. I purchased some garlic this fall (fall 2012) from WeGrowGarlic. They haven't said anything about aster yellows but I know that some areas of Wisconsin have been affected by it. I've also heard rumors that they will not be in business this coming year. Does anyone have any details about that - and about whether the garlic I got from them is likely to be infected?

2. Anyone have recommendations for a non-Midwest company to order different varieties of garlic from? Preferably one that certifies their product as disease-free?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vendors for Garlic for fall 2013?

years back when I use to grew a lot of garlic, I got my hardneck cultivars from Territorial Seed and Roningers (sp?) Potatoes, now called Irish Eyes.

Is aster yellows just a midwest disease?
I wasn't aware...

o

No, I don't believe it is, but I do know that the major issue was the fact that we had such a warm winter last year, so the garlic grew earlier and the leafhoppers ate and infected it. According to what I have read, usually garlic sprouts and grows in our climate too late in the season to be at risk.

Thanks for the recommendation!

o

From what I can tell the infected garlic has a very off smell. For my planting this year I planted it if it looked and smelled normal. However I would not bet my house on not having the disease this year. It seemed as if a couple of my varieties of softnecks had a resistance to it. I hope the garlic you bought is ok and I bet it is if it smelled right.

I hope We Grow Garlic and the rest of the Midwest garlic growers can spring back.

o

I bought 3 varieties from this place a few years back and have had great success:
http://www.alphagarlicfarm.com/

It is located in zone 4 like here in MN.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alpha Garlic Farms

o

An excellent garlic seed source I know of is in Oregon with no aster yellow contamination. Here's the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craigslist garlic source

o

Jeff Adelman at the St. Paul Farmers Market usually has a variety of garlic sets for sale in late summer/fall.

Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here